Disclosure of Mental Illness at Work

4 Likes

I don’t need a study to tell me its a straight up bad idea to tell your employer about mental illness.

On three occasions it has gotten me fired (of course for something unrelated :roll_eyes: ),

And as a writer its gotten me nothing but assignments on mental illness, very much limiting my talents.

I know some people have had some very positive experiences with disclosure,

But I feel they are more the exception.

5 Likes

I told my manager that i was struggling with it then i started breaking down mentally and they fired me for it

2 Likes

I told my job about it they tried to accommodate but I still couldn’t handle it.

When I’ve told my managers or co-workers in the past they’ve been accepting (the cool nice ones) or just avoid me (mean judging ones).

1 Like

I wouldn’t tell anyone. Even some doctors don’t take it well, so I wouldn’t expect the general public to.

2 Likes

Right, only my cat knows. He’s cool with it. :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

This :hushed: 1515151515155

1 Like

HR know about my illness. I don’t tell co workers though. It helps that I have family working for the same company

You know those slips the drs office gives you to return to work? Every time I went to the drs I had to give my boss that slip as proof and the slip had the drs logo on it. So my boss knew about my MI. I was good at my job. So nobody cared.

I think I’m the exception, my employer knows but I work in a very inclusive workplace. I have a lot of support from my direct managers. My coworkers don’t know.

1 Like

I’ve only ever had one job. My employer knew about my MI. They were giving me over 40 hours a week which was far too much for me.

I got a doctors note saying I couldn’t work over 30 hours in a week. So they changed the schedule so I only would work 4 hours a week. Of course I had to go on EI since nobody can live off of 4 hours a week of work.

I’d also occasionally have a panic attack and have to take an ativan. Because of this I would ask not to work in the back baking because it would be dangerous handling hot things and dealing with ovens when I was sedated.

There would be other employees working that were trained to work in my position and were more then happy to trade with me, but for some reason the manager always said no and made me work with very hot ovens while I was basically high.

When I could have easily gone and worked in the front pouring coffees and dealing with customers. They also weren’t sympathetic when I had to take time off. They’d ask for doctors notes every time and I would get them and they still didn’t seem satisfied.

Now I hate that place and rarely go there. (Won’t say what it is but it is the most well known Canadian coffee shop, I’m sure you can guess)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.