Did sz/psychosis destroyed your life?

I know three people who have psychosis and It destroyed their lives. It also destroyed my life…

It looks like getting things like driver’s license, relationships and work are no longer
achievable. is that just how seriously you are affected? Or do most poeple recover from it?

your opinion, please.

does that also apply to you?

7 Likes

Sure man, but there is no point in crying over spilled milk.
Gotta work with all that we have now.

12 Likes

Yes got to make the most of your circumstances Schulz people can still have quality of life
There’s a lot of other problems people have

5 Likes

But are not you angry that everything is being pulled away from you at the beginning of the disease?

3 Likes

I was devastated when had first breakdown I couldn’t believe that I had schizophrenia I was ashamed and gutted my hospital experience was hellish and I was only 18 I could have gone to university and had freinds and a career yes it sucks

7 Likes

thank you!
you are an experience expert. Did you ever have a moment when you thought you could positively influence the course of the disease?

I just manage it day by day

4 Likes

Most people don’t recover but can make some improvements if they stay on meds and push themselves.

5 Likes

I understand these feelings of hopelessness and believing that your life is no longer worth it. I was a mess for many years. But once I finally understood that I had an illness that required a specific treatment (med compliance) and took the steps to seek the best treatment available to me, things slowly came together. I will always have schizophrenia and I still have issues, but I am happier than i’ve probably ever been. It’s not the illness that defines who you are, it the choices you make to make your life better despite of it.

6 Likes

This illness marked all my childhood and youth. I basically missed them. But there is recovery, yes, tons of people done it :slight_smile: It gets better with age I find, according to the docs. Keep hope :slight_smile: My brain is a mess too right now in fact, but everything is possible.

2 Likes

Yes, SZ ruined my life. I am no longer the same person. The first severe break and successive breaks after that have changed me. I am doing better than I have in years, but still feel unable to achieve what I was once able to. There’s so much I can no longer do

1 Like

I had established my life before being dx’d Sz.
I had my drivers license 17 years, had a full time job, been married 10 years…then it all started to unravel.

I had to stop working, my (ex)husband started the divorce papers, I got put involuntary in the psych ward 24 times in the following 11years.

Yup, life sucked like usual…
but I never stopped living.
No matter how messed up things seemed to be, and no matter how many days I hid under the sheets, I realized I wasn’t going to disappear just because I wanted to.

Life didn’t stop for me either, it kept on going, not missing a beat.
I had to learn to just keep getting up out of bed, and do the best I was able to, every single day.
I can look back on the many years, and see that the things I have done since being dx’d Sz, are pretty impressive- even if only to me.

Point being, your going to live until you die, and what you do in between, every effort, every accomplishment, all adds up to what makes you content, or miserable.

Maybe you have limitations, but there is still things you can do- and have to do, to have a life you can be content with.
No one owes you anything because you have Sz.
Your life is still your own.

9 Likes

I guess my life has been destroyed in those ways. I just want a simple life though.

No, but sz make me lost my time

A simple life is not simple by accident, it takes effort and constant vigilance to keep out all the unnecessary complicated things that go with life.

2 Likes

While growing up my mom had undiagnosed schizophrenia and told me all these things that made me paranoid. Then I finally got to college thinking it would be better then I started hearing voices shortly thereafter. It destroyed everything and I dropped out of the college I was so proud to have been accepted into. Since my diagnosis five years ago ive been taking antipsychotics every single day. After I started on those pills and through a lot of prayer I’ve been slowly rebuilding my life. Since then I’ve changed majors gone to a community college and got an associates degree and transferred to another four year university. I’ve also gotten a drivers license after failing five or six times. I just finished my first quarter with a high gpa, but I only took three classes. I even got my first job working at my dads office. i Thought I was going to quit my job to focus on school but I’m going back Tuesday to work. Over the summer i even volunteered in the city. I’ll have been working at my dads office for over two years now. When I first started the job it took 2-4 days a week during busy season but now it’s only one day a week because tech has mostly replaced the bulk of my job. I also see a psychologist and psychiatrist regularly. I think if you get support from family and doctors and rely on them and faith and push yourself and stay on the Meds then if the Meds silence the voices you can rebuild your life. I was on abilify at high dosages for the bulk of that time which gave me insomnia so I had to take a sleeping pill and stayed in bed a long time and was always tired, but recently I’ve been switching to vraylar and it has made it easier to sleep and I sleep less hours and am more rested

2 Likes

I never had a life BEFORE schizophrenia so everything I’ve done past 1980 when I got diagnosed is just a bonus.

5 Likes

I never really reached the point where i had much of a life so schizophrenia merely prolonged my childhood. I was at college when the acute psychosis hit but was not working, driving, or dating and was flunking school as it was. So I simply went home until my 40’s working for a while mainly as a volunteer in the meantime and otherwise doing little more than playing with my nieces and watching them grow up, occasionally taking a vacation, doing some care for my Grandmother, and Mother off and on and trying to hide how pathetic my life really was from my co-workers. Sadly moving to an apartment didn’t change things much. I am more or less being taken care of by the state with the exception of fixing my own meals, taking out the trash, washing my own dishes and clothes, and occasionally leaving the building for necessary things. I did a lot of that when I was still living at home as Mom eventually stopped fixing meals, and doing those jobs so it’s nothing new. I have no sexual relationships now and never had before expect in my imagination. Schizophrenia barely changed my life at all.

I never really reached the point where i had much of a life so schizophrenia merely prolonged my childhood. I was at college when the acute psychosis hit but was not working, driving, or dating and was flunking school as it was. So I simply went home until my 40’s working for a while mainly as a volunteer in the meantime and otherwise doing little more than playing with my nieces and watching them grow up, occasionally taking a vacation, doing some care for my Grandmother, and Mother off and on and trying to hide how pathetic my life really was from my co-workers. Sadly moving to an apartment made the job situation more or less impossible as I had significant trouble adjusting to the new reality and t. I am more or less being taken care of by the state with the exception of fixing my own meals, taking out the trash, washing my own dishes and clothes, and occasionally leaving the building for necessary things. I did a lot of that when I was still living at home as Mom eventually stopped fixing meals, and doing those jobs so it’s nothing new. I have no sexual relationships now and never had before expect in my imagination. Schizophrenia barely changed my life at all.

Yes and no. It destroyed my career and my son. My nursing license was snagged from me, and my son died of the disease sz. But no, I am living the ideal life today in spite of my sza diagnosis.

1 Like