Decreasing 10 to 5mg abilify

i did this a month or two ago with the intention of telling my pdoc about it at our next meeting. our next meeting is february 22, however i thought it was earlier. ill still tell him next time we meet

effects:

-less akathisia and inner turmoil
-less involuntary mouth and hand movements
-less anxious
-less obsessive
-less emotionally flat
-less sedated
-less apathetic
-less inhibited
-less hungry
-more guilt
-more emotional instability
-mild non-bizarre delusions
-strange focuses and ideas
-very short attention span
-more patient and relaxed
-still feel chaotic at times
-persistent cognitive issues
-inability to focus and shift attention
-abulia, avolition

bear in mind i didnt completely stop the med on my own, i just decreased the dose because i was having intolerable side effects and believed it would help

remember, i am very mentally ill, so some of the decisions i make may seem rash or out of character at times. this may have been one such decision

what would you advise i tell my pdoc next time we meet on feb 22nd? do you think hell be mad i tampered with my meds on my own? will he want to hospitalize me? will he totally disown me as a patient? have i made a horrible mistake?

1 Like

Im not in a mindset to help but i take 20mg halving it to 10ng at am and 10mg at night. All i get is drowsiness and involuntary arm shakes which i have to tell him about. Hope it gets better for you.

1 Like

i also used to take 20mg, my pdoc agreed to decrease it to ten, then i began to feel symptoms of akathisia and possibly tardive dyskinesia. i didnt have these symptoms very bad at 20mg

1 Like

Makes you wonder…

1 Like

maybe 20mg was the ideal dose for me, i think i felt the best at that dose looking back

Probably was. Have you had any luck with another med?

1 Like

i also take seroquel for breakthrough symptoms up to 200mg. i used to be on seroquel and rexulti but my parents gave me dirty looks every time they saw how much they were paying for rexulti so i switched to abilify

1 Like

5mg is not a therapeutic dose. Have you gone back up? If you’re not going to go back in an effective dose, you need to be seen much sooner.

1 Like

as far as i know its not known whether 5mg is a therapeutic dose. but i often take another ap (seroquel) so that might even it out some

Ouch. Yeah seroquel didnt like me. Dropped my blood pressure went unconscious three times . Seroquel is strong…

1 Like

it dropped my blood pressure a couple times, i almost passed out and had to lay on the kitchen floor

1 Like

I was on 5 mg abilify and it did work well for me. It did give me TD though which I am trying to get rid off. Hope you feel better. Do not worry about your pdoc. Just be honest with him. I feel being open helps. I took my pdoc in confidence when I stopped taking abilify due to TD which she kept ignoring for a while.

1 Like