Schizophrenia.com

Daughter Milestone

She got her first job at Starbucks on the weekend!

There’s no drive-thru at this location so she won’t be pressured as much. We’re all thrilled for her.

I told her to stay part-time for now even though she’s been offered a full week. I don’t want her to get discouraged right out of the gate with long hours. Also, she still needs to enjoy the Summer and have time to spend her new-found cash.

My first job I was 18 at a self-serve gas station. What was your first job, and how old were you?

27 Likes

My first job was when I was 16 and I was a grocery store cashier.

4 Likes

Woohoo!!! Congrats to your daughter!

My first job I was also 18, working for the department of transportation picking up garbage along the highways.

3 Likes

First legit job, McDonald’s, age 14. Did some busing in restaurants under the table starting at 12.

2 Likes

My first job was at 15 as a cashier at Food Lion, a grocery chain in the Mid-Atlantic. The store I worked at has since been closed.

2 Likes

Congrats to your daughter.

My first real job(besides paper delivery) was when I was 16 in a place that was called “Blue Grass Steel”. I think they are not in business anymore.

2 Likes

I’m so old, customers back then paid for their gas with beaver pelts. :smile:

There was no Interac Bank Cards/ Tap when I worked the till at the gas station back in 1984.

I just took people’s cash and swiped their credit cards with a hand-held metal compressor thingy.

3 Likes

Ahhh, that old relic. At my above job we had them in case comms with Visa, MasterCard, etc went down. Crunch crunch!

3 Likes

That’s awesome @anon39054230 .
My first job
Delivering newspapers
Age 11.
I earned about 63 dollars
Every two weeks.
A little extra for Sunday.

3 Likes

I started babysitting , raking leaves, and shoveling snow for people at 10 years old. At 14 years old I got my first paycheck job as a hostess in a restaurant.

2 Likes

I’m happy your daughter got a good job for her first job.

2 Likes

My first job was at fourteen working for a psychiatrist,

Just putting charts away and helping him with little things (he was paralyzed).

My first legit job was at a hospital’s kitchen when I was fifteen.

4 Likes

The Starbucks is inside a large grocery store which owns and runs the franchise…so my daughter may also get to work the Bakery, stock shelves, flower shop, door greeter/ hostess…etc.

She is now an employee of both outfits so there’s lots more opportunity for her down the road.

5 Likes

How’s the other daughter taking it?
My first job was delivering newspapers on foot when I was 12. At 14, I was an A&W carhop. That was fun. Serving teenagers driving their parent’s cars and listening to piped in pop songs. Got my first serious boyfriend that way.

3 Likes

That’s so awesome! I think part-time is always the best option for a beginner.

My daughters went to fireworks and bbq last night. They had a lot of fun. I don’t think they had more fun than when they were at my house and we went to lake.

My first job was when I was 8 if not younger. I was a cashier and a stocker. My grandpa sold at flea markets and festivals. He sold like part poppers, fart bombs, crystal gloves, kitchen knives, crossbows, regular knifes, swords, pellet guns, toys and a bunch of other stuff. My first official job outside of family was when I was 15 at BK. I remember riding the bus to work everyday. Then my awesome dad would pick me up after. I liked both the jobs.

3 Likes

@chordy

I think my other daughter will really get Jello Pudzin Pop when she sees her sister’s first paycheck…and want to rush out and get a job as well.

Mall money!

4 Likes

These are some fun stories about first employment!

Thanks for sharing!

My first job was at Baskin Robbins ice cream, part time. I was 15, and I got paid $1.25 an hour. There was this guy there who really wanted a car, so he worked 80 hour weeks all summer to get enough to buy one.

3 Likes

My first real job was as an assistant to manager of furniture store when i was 18. Before that i had an on call job unloading trucks at the mall usually in the morning at 4am before school, job guaranteed 4 hours pay and sometimes only took an hour.

3 Likes

I worked hauling hay the next two summers. It was hot, dirty work, but I found that so much easier to endure than Baskin Robbins, or any other fast food job, except maybe delivering pizza. That isn’t too bad. But now they got all these giant bales of hay, so the hay hauling job has gone by the wayside.

3 Likes