Daughter Milestone

Paper boy 155555555

3 Likes

I’d like to bale hay so I can be farm boy strong. I would probably last two seconds.

2 Likes

It’s not that bad once you get used to it.

It’s just so special for me and the family.

We very nearly lost my daughter in April. She had her gall bladder removed…a severely inflamed pancreas and liver. The Doctor told her straight up it could be fatal and that an older person probably would not have survived.

Cue 3 months later, and here she is being a normal, healthy teenager getting her first job!

8 Likes

That’s the incredible thing about most teens, even for girls and young women, or boys really, highest immunity. You think anything to do with it, or no?

1 Like

Very Cool @anon39054230 ! I first started work for a major retailer collecting trolleys. Hard work for the $3.17 an hour I was getting paid whilst at school.

3 Likes

I think I made $6.00 an hour in 1984 at the gas station.

My memory could be wrong, but it was 37 years ago…so it sounds about right, I suppose

2 Likes

I do that for the town for free. Darn it. I always carry a spare trash bag and pick while I’m walking as litter irritates me. The town has garbage cans placed everywhere and people are too lazy to use them.

Edit: Getting this back on topic, my daughter works on the town parks crew for the summer. She actually gets paid to pick garbage.

1 Like

Minimum wage here was $5.25 and it stayed that way for a long time. I remember getting it detasseling corn as a teen.

2 Likes

@Daze

Minimum wage is over $14.00 an hour here in my province in Canada right now.

2 Likes

My first job was working with my uncle in his art and framing store. Used to do all the cleaning, managed the accounts and helped put together picture frames. I really enjoyed that job. I was i think 16 - 17 years old.

2 Likes

I think minimum wage in Iowa was $3.80 when I first started working but was raised to $4.25 shortly thereafter. Sounds like a pathetic wage now.

1 Like

Awesome! I think its still $7.25 here but most jobs start much much higher. They just want you to show up.

1 Like

$13/hr for students under 18 yrs and $15/hr for those 18 yrs and over here in Alberta. My friggin’ kid makes $19/hr. I can tell you that the horseshoe up her butt skipped a couple of generations.

1 Like

@pixel

I made $19.00 per hour in 1992 working in a warehouse lifting boxes for a grocery chain.

I had a convertible Summer car…a little winter car…and always had cash on me. Yup, I was livin large until I blew out my back.

The back finally healed up though and I got the new job in the shipping field where I still work today.

1 Like

My kid worked three summers doing tours and cleaning at a historical museum. Last year she worked at a provincial park cleaning and doing chores. This year she has graduated with her two year business management diploma, so they have her in charge of a team of n00bs who haven’t really had jobs before. That’s what’s making the difference. She comes home pulling her hair out because she is constantly confiscating phones to keep the girls she has working.

She’s 20 in August.

4 Likes

@shutterbug

You’ve raised a great kid there!

My girls will be 17 in less than a week. I’m also blessed so far…they’re doing well in school and have good friend-sets. They’ll be seniors in their High School in the Fall.

4 Likes

Congrats to your kid! Starbucks is a really good employer with a lot of perks. Scholarships, free spotify, profit sharing, etc. My oldest worked at Starbucks for 2 years and it was their first “living wages” job after they came to live with me. They loved it.

My first job was when I worked as a DJ with my dad at age 12. First legal paycheck job was in a bakery at 17.

2 Likes

I did newspaper delivery age 11 I had like 45 houses. I think it took me around 45mins to do the route. I’d walk across everyone’s lawns :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
First job was grocery store in the produce section age 16 :peach:

I had a couple other short jobs but they were like only 3 weeks

3 Likes

I tried my hand at the deli. Farking terrible. Did 2 days and went back to the register. No matter what you did, the customers were unhappy. So much waste.

2 Likes