Dating advice for men with schizophrenia

Feel free to share your advice!

Here’s mine:

Be friendly.

That is all !

12 Likes

My current advice for people in my situation is:

Don’t date, then you dont need any advice.

8 Likes

Don’t let rejection get you down.

It’s a normal part of dating.

You will find someone if you keep looking.

8 Likes

Also,

Don’t say you have schizophrenia like ten minutes into a conversation or on your profile.

I realize some people believe this is a way of being honest,

But it’s just weird.

Let someone get to know you a little then tell if you want.

Nothing says you have to disclose your illness just like you wouldn’t expect them to divulge their personal medical history first date.

10 Likes

Ten years ago on the second date I told her was on Zyprexa, and she found out what they treat

She dumped me, saying I don’t want to date a pick axe murderer, I felt hurt by that at the time

My advice is don’t disclose your illness till well into a relationship

4 Likes

I am off the market. Not that I have success in dating. As @Bowens puts it

4 Likes

First impressions make a lasting schema of how a woman perceives you. For example, the apparel worn during the first meet will set the bar for future consecutive meets (if you get that far). Maintaining a business casual attire and being well groomed while during every encounter with the woman takes money, time & effort.

As for disclosing that you have a mental illness, just as others have stated is to tell the woman well into the relationship.

4 Likes

About three weeks is the sweet spot.

7 Likes

I showed up in worn out jeans, a worn out hoodie, and a Dr. Who t-shirt. She was dressed nicely. I simply told her that I wasn’t going to pretend to be someone other than who I am. That was me and that was how I dressed.

7 Likes

How handsome you must have been in her eyes. :slight_smile: I guess the waiter at the restaurant knew who to give the dinner bill to after the meal is finished. :grin:

2 Likes

This.

Pretending to be something is a great way to get dumped later.

3 Likes

There is such a thing as going dutch.

3 Likes

I should have given a coffee shop example rather than a fine dining restaurant then.

1 Like

When I was dating I always made it a point to pay for half the stuff.

Whether it was splitting the bill or paying every other time.

Men shouldn’t have to go broke dating.

We all should.

6 Likes

I have been on around 25 dates with different people, most of them online dating. I think of these people I dated I only disclosed to one of them that I had a mental illness. The reason is the dating hadn’t gone far enough that there was a reason to disclose. The one person I did confide in, I did it because she seemed trustworthy, and we had a relationship a for a couple of months.

So I guess my advice is you are better of not telling people about the illness before things seem like they are moving along to be serious. Unless it becomes a subject in conversation. But even then you can just say you don’t want to talk about it right away.

3 Likes

Our first date was at a provincial park in the Rocky Mountains. I cooked burgers for us over hot coals and served them with homemade potato salad and some marinated vegetables. We hiked to a waterfall afterwards.

5 Likes

Impressive. Good you know the location. Do you remember that year, month and day when you first met her too?

1 Like

She answered my online classified ad on May 25, 1998 (her birthday). Our first in person date was Jun 13, 1998. I proposed on Nov 21, 1998. We married Jul 08, 2000.

5 Likes

You have that written down somewhere don’t you?

Perhaps tattooed?

1 Like

Wow.

My husband and I have different memories of first meeting,

I have no idea when our first date was, sometime in fall.

I remember the date of the day he said he loved me, because it was on New Year’s Eve.

Most the time I remember when we got married.

5 Likes