Dad bullys me over my mental illness and is convinced that my mum is cheating on him

He doesnt stop going on about it. When i tell him other wise its my fault making me paranoid and then taking the mick out of me for it. He has been like this all my life and im not sure i can cope with him much longer. He was the reason i got paranoid in the first place because he kept mentioning things that would make me paranoid. Then he Tells me im the one with the problem

5 Likes

Awful fathers everywhere…
My acts like I don’t have sz, and often is abusive calling me moron
When he is stressed with things, he takes it down on me

5 Likes

My Dad is a total buffoon too. Doesn’t try to understand what my MH issues are and just thinks Im lazy. Is very brash and opinionated - hard to get along with.

I’d try and move out if I were you. Unsupportive parents just make MH issues much worse by ruining what would have been emotionally stable periods of time.

4 Likes

My dad is difficult too.
He believes I’m lazy.
Is your father paranoid of your mother?
Why such accusations?

4 Likes

My dad thinks I’m lazy and that I need to get a job.

Also he doesn’t understand what sz is. Or rather he doesn’t want to understand nor know what it is.

4 Likes

Yeah many times my father calls me “sick” or wacko

Many mentally I’ll people get put down and disrespected on a daily basis

3 Likes

Same here it does my head in

1 Like

You are woman, he shouldn’t say anything

Yes my familie calls me psycho, have seen me psychotic and hospitalized but assume i can just pick up life where i left it.

My father takes the piss out of my delusions and expects me not to react

1 Like

Not everyone is willing to take the time to educate and understand a complex mental illness. Thats just the way it is.

My parents are pretty understanding though. They seen it all first hand and took the time to learn about what was happening and how to help.

1 Like

Lucky even my mum has trouble understanding it sometimes

1 Like

Just for a bit of encouragement to you folks who have awful parent(s), there ARE better living arrangements if you can find them. Move out if you can. All the trauma you are dealing with is a distraction from dealing with your own MH issues. You can not be expected to also deal with their MH issues. I deal with an SZ person and actually read about SZ and the various treatments so as to better understand what he is dealing with. I go to most of his psychy meetings and help him try to make sense of what he has and to manage the challenges he faces. I feel very sorry for people who have parents who “don’t get it” because the parents have their own issues they are apparently not dealing with. There are better living conditions out there; actively seek them if at all possible. Develop a plan of action and get the wheels turning. Maybe a temporary home is part of the plan. I suspect you will find dealing w/ your SZ much less of a challenge if you are not burdened with someone else’s MH issues. I wish I could offer more help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.