Cursed earth

I think being ambitious about WHAT

Helping humanity like making a difference - that is right

Helping yourself is selfish imho . - ambitious about power , money , status etc is delusion and stupid imho

I would like to make a lot of money and have a senior position. Not a lot of money but at least 75k per year by the time I’m 35. I don’t have good focus and health so this might be absolute. I am selfish, I would like to enjoy my life and spend money on fashion. I’ve done a lot of charities in the past and I was even vegan but making money is not a bad thing. If I have kids, i would like for them to have a future and not be miserable.

Rest assured you are selfish :slight_smile: nyway take it easy…my whole point was the focus which was important -if the focus is ONLY on making money then it’s stupid . But if the focus is on making money to help other people then it makes sense to make a lot of money . I am not telling that we should not spend money on ourselves – we ideally should when we do have the money but our main focus should be always on helping others . I am going through a mental illness too and. I have been forcefully taken to an asylum in the past but I have not lost my focus .

Anyway to each their own viewpoints so I am fine with your view too

I am forced by dint of considerable post-graduate education in social – as well as clinical – psychology plus 28 years in the field to agree with these numbers. It seems clear to me that the vast majority of people spend their entire lives in a state Charles Tart and Arthur Deikman called the “consensus trance.” The vast majority of people think what they have been told to think. Including schizophrenics.

http://www.smccd.edu/accounts/larson/psyc390/Docs/Consensus%20Trance.pdf

Other sociologists and social psychologists have written about it, as well. @Sarad is way up on this stuff in the European perspective, so I would ask her to provide whatever sources on this she may wish to provide. My own sources iclude:

Theodor Adorno, Daniel Levinson, et al: The Authoritarian Personality: Studies in Prejudice, orig. pub, 1950, New York: W. W. Norton, 1993.

Robert Altemeyer: The Authoritarian Specter, Boston: Harvard University Press, 1996.

Robert Altemeyer: The Authoritarians, Charleston, SC: Lulu, 2006.

Hannah Arendt: The Origins of Totalitarianism (The Burden of Our Time), orig. pub. 1951, New York: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1973.

S. E. Asch: Effects of Group Pressure upon the Modification and Distortion of Judgments, New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1952.

Aaron Beck: Prisoners of Hate: The Cognitive Basis of Anger, Hostility and Violence; New York: Harper-Collins, 1999.

Peter L. Berger & Thomas Luckman: The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge; New York: Doubleday, 1966.

David Berreby: Us & Them: The Science of Identity; U. of Chicago Press, 2005.

Allan Bloom: The Closing of the American Mind: How Higher Education has Failed Democracy and Impoverished the Souls of Today’s Students; New York: Simon & Schuster, 1987.

Martin Buber: Productivity and Existence, in Maurice Stein et al (editors): Identity and Anxiety: Survival of the Person in Mass Society; Glencoe, IL: The Free Press, 1960.

Charles Cooley: Human Nature and the Social Order; Piscataway, NJ: Transaction, 1902, 1986.

Arthur Deikman: Them and Us: Cult Thinking and the Terrorist Threat; Berkeley, CA: Bay Tree Publishing, 2003.

Emile Durkheim: The Division of Labor in Society; orig. pub. 1883, London: The Free Press, 1933.

Stuart Ewen: Captains of Consciousness: Advertising and the Social Roots of the Consumer Culture; orig. pub. 1976, New York: Basic Books, 2001.

Erik Fromm: The Heart of Man: It’s Genius for Good and Evil; New York: Harper & Row, 1964.

Alexander Haslam & Stephen Reicher: Contesting the “Nature” of Conformity: What Milgram and Zimbardo’s Studies Really Show; in PLOS / Biology, Vol. 10, No. 11, November 2012.

George W. F. Hegel: The Phenomenology of Spirit (aka: Science of the Experience of Consciousness); orig. pub. 1806; tr. Miller, A. V., New York: Oxford U. Press, 1979.

Jules Henry: Culture Against Man; New York: Random House, 1963.

Jules Henry: On Sham, Vulnerability and other forms of Self-Destruction; London: Allan Lane Penguin Press, 1973.

Eric Hoffer: The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements; New York: Harper and Row, 1951, 1966.

Sidney Hook: Reason, Myths, and Democracy; Buffalo NY: Promethius Books, 1940, 1991.

Aldous Huxley: Science, Liberty and Peace: A thoughtful analysis of the individual today and his future in the world, New York: Harper & Brothers, 1946.

Karl Jaspers: The Axial Age of Human History, in Maurice Stein et al (editors): Identity and Anxiety: Survival of the Person in Mass Society; Glencoe, IL: The Free Press, 1960.

Julian Jaynes: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind; Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1976.

Joel Kramer & Diana Alstad: The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power; Berkeley, CA: Frog , Ltd., 1993.

Jiddu Krishnamurti: The First & Last Freedom; New York: HarperCollins, 1954.

T. J. Jackson Lears: No Place of Grace: Antimodernism and the Transformation of American Culture, 1880-1920; Univ. of Chicago Press, 1994.

Jackson Lears: Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920; New York: HarperCollins, 2009.

Robert J. Lifton: Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of Brainwashing in China; New York: W. W. Norton, 1961.

Walter Lippmann: Public Opinion; orig. pub. 1922, New York: Simon & Schuster / Free Press, 1997.

Iain McGilchrist: The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World; Cambridge MA: Yale University Press, 2009.

Stanley Milgram: Obedience to Authority, New York: Harper, 1974.

Arthur G. Miller: The Obedience Experiments, New York: Prager, 1984.

C. Wright Mills: The Power Elite; London: Oxford Univ. Press, 1956, 2000.

As I usually do when I lay out these lists, I stop halfway through the alphabet, because my purpose was simply to show those who are authoritarian that there are plenty of authorities on the subjects I bring up, and that I don’t come from my “good ideas” or “ill-informed opinions” when I write this stuff. (If anyone wants the rest of the list, reply to this post.)

thanks. I just enjoy luxury. It’s probably vain, I realize that. I might inject you you know :wink:

I think that we start gangs like protestant n,catholic,Baptist,Lutheran. .whatever! Man.

When you get right down to it ? these are just gangs.

belief in Christ and his way of living and your belief In that is a personal choice of how you live your life on a day to day basis.

I dont think that God asked us to take sides against each other.

Division is something that WE cooked up.

1 Like

so do I (enjoy luxury).

I think you did not grasp the subtle meaning of my words.

you can enjoy even when you are a begger…or you many not enjoy even when you are a billionaire…lets leave it for some other time.

take care…my delusisons or the medicine i was injected (probably by u …just kidding) is beginning to take effect:)

1 Like

I think to word to use is “unconscious” the vast majority of humans live in an unconscious consciousness which is basically consisting of conditioning (societal/parental/cultural/religious/governmental) etc. all their perceptions are unconscious . So they do not KNOW what they are doing but they think they know.

So in the end it goes around in a cycle .

In a truly conscious concisenessness all your precept ions would be spontaneous and correct . It goes deeper than that but probably my medicine is taking effect

2 Likes

VERY high five.

Precisely. And very much the objective of the mindfulness-based cognitive psychotherapies.

DBT – http://behavioraltech.org/resources/whatisdbt.cfm
MBSR – Welcome to the Mindful Living Blog
ACT – ACT | Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
MBBT – An Introduction to Mind-Body Bridging & the I-System – New Harbinger Publications, Inc
10 StEP – Pair A Docks: The 10 StEPs of Emotion Processing
SEPT – Somatic experiencing - Wikipedia
SMPT – Sensorimotor psychotherapy - Wikipedia

I’ll write down just a few terms you can look up for, because you seem to figured it all :wink:

Michael Foucault, subjectification, the subject and power, power and knowledge, bio politics, history of sexuality
Louis Althuisser, *ISA:ideological state apparatuses *, *interpellation *.
Pierre Bourdieu, Symbolic Power
Terry Eagleton, *idea of culture *
Stuart Hall, identity, identity politics.