Credit card vs debit card

Hi. I am thinking of switching to a credit card right now I have a debit card. Do you guys prefer having a credit or debit card? I thought I heard that credit cards are more secure in cases of fraud. I was tired of having to pay every month so I got a debit card a ways back. I used to have a credit card.

Credit cards may lead to debt. However, I carry both.

2 Likes

Some companies, like hotels, charge a much higher deposits when you use a debit card. I use a debit card for almost everything except that.

1 Like

I would suggest you have both a Credit Card and a Debit Card.
But remember to pay your credit cards to keep the balance down. So yo don’t get charged interest.

Each has advantages in differently circumstances.

2 Likes

Why choose/switch? I carry both.

I have a cash back rewards credit card so I put almost everything on my credit card and at the end of the year get a bunch of money back. If you do use a credit card make sure you pay it off every month, the interest rates can be insane. What I do is, for example, buy gasoline for my minivan, pay with my credit card, then come home, log on to my banking website and immediately pay it off. Really no difference than if I payed with my debit card but I get cash back for using the credit card.

3 Likes

I have a debit but not a credit card. I don’t like to buy stuff on credit.

3 Likes

I only use my debit card, but I take out credit cards every so often for free gifts and to raise my credit score

3 Likes

I do that for airline miles.

2 Likes

Because some people can’t handle the responsibility of a credit card… :unamused:

2 Likes

It’s too tempting to have a credit card. Too easy to run up. I used to have 6 credit cards. I gave them all to my sister to keep and I haven’t used one in a few years and get along fine without them.

3 Likes

If I start using the credit card for everything I don’t think I’ll keep my debit card just for peace of mind. The bank I use has a card offering 2% cash back.

1 Like

I’m glad to know that. It might come in useful. Personally, I refuse to pay the interest on credit card debt. I think there is a certain amount of snobbery in having the right credit card, but you pay for that snobbery. I’ll use a debit card and send the money I saved to help orphans in war zones.

2 Likes

I use a debit card only. The one I have has only a $1/mo fee, no other fees, and I only keep enough on it for purchases I’m going to make soon. After working in the banking world for 13 yrs I avoid all financial entanglement like the plague.

1 Like

I didn’t think of getting a prepaid debit card. Maybe I would pay attention to my monthly spending more if I had to pay the credit card every month. I’ve never looked at how much I spend per month with my debit card.

That’s good @crimby

Mine is through my credit union. Because I have a savings account, there’s no fees with my debit card

2 Likes

My debit card is also no fees.

I guess I might have to keep my debit card just to use at the ATM. I’m going to try out a credit card just signed up it’s supposed to arrive in 5 days.

I also have a Venmo card that acts like a debit / credit card.

1 Like

I don’t have any money. I don’t know, you won’t have more income having more cards. I am happy with my debit card to do online trading.

2 Likes