Courses of schizophrenia 30 years later

The best summary of possible courses of schizophrenia was done by J. H. Stephens, who analyzed twenty-five studies in which there was follow-up for at least ten years.

Which group do you consider yourself?

1 Like

Improved but require extensive support network.

I guess the 25% completely recovered are on medication.

WTH is completely recovered? To me, that means you have no symptoms and you have been off medication for a number of years. I think the term ā€œcompletely recoveredā€ gets thrown around a lot but whatā€™s the definition? Does anyone really ā€œcompletely recoverā€.

5 Likes

I am independent but need support network.

Second from the top.

I still hear voices so Iā€™m not completely recovered. Donā€™t expect I ever will be.

1 Like

This is not clear, what do they mean by recovered? Positive or negative/cognitive symptoms?

3 Likes

Iā€™m assuming the top 25% are completely 100% symptom free but that sounds a little suspect to me, I mean if they have zero symptoms are they still taking meds?

1 Like

I am sure theyā€™re taking meds so they might have side effects and lower life quality.

1 Like

25% without meds sounds unlikely imo

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. Well Iā€™m just super happy not to be in the bottom 25%.

1 Like

Yea I was there once, I was suicidal at the beginning.

1 Like

Hard to decide without knowing the study criteria. I have no real symptoms but im not completely independent also if the study was taken 10 years after first hospitalization i would be in the category above dead. Im at 20 years now. We will see in ten years

I agree- what is recovered.

On meds with symptoms but manage a somewhat normal life?

On meds no pos/neg symptoms. Normal life.
No meds no pos/neg symptoms. Normal life.

My caseworker tells me I am gonna struggle from his experience with his other SZ patients. I asked him my outlook.

2 Likes

Itā€™s always been reported that thereā€™s a good population who have first episode psychosis and get better etc. Itā€™s probably more prevalent with the rise of recreational drug usage but itā€™s been there for a while.

Iā€™m not surprised by any of these figures. I am probably second level in these terms. Have problems on disability but live a realised life. Iā€™m much improved on meds for sure and relatively independant living with my dad! We donā€™t live in ideal situations for sureā€¦

1 Like

Probably much improved 10 years later. I donā€™t know what it will be 20/30 years later though.

1 Like

@Aziz youā€™re right
Completely recovered using meds and symptom free + able to work and independent from family

2 Likes

Completely recovered.

2 Likes

My mom said 25%.

iā€™'d say nearest to the much improved level depending on how ā€˜relatively independentā€™ would be defined.