Coronavirus is a breeding ground for conspiracy theories

2 Likes

I don’t trust the medical community, never have.
They treat those with a severe mi terribly.

2 Likes

This is why I don’t trust any of the info going around the net about the coronavirus. I just watch the news.

1 Like

Since we’re talking conspiracy theories, here’s the main one (take with a grain of salt:)

1 Like

Do I move this to UB??? :thinking:

1 Like

My post was factual , but I can see it may result in less stable posters using the thread for less healthy reasons . Moving it might be a good idea .

1 Like

Okay people, go nuts. Just…not too nuts.

3 Likes

There is always a new disease. Swine flu, bird flu. I can’t remember most. I lived in Asia for 3 years and the Japanese always wore surgical masks when they were sick. And riding the subways and bullet trains you had to get close to people.

You don’t see that in the USA. We just spread all of our germs. It will be worse if there is an outbreak here.

I would never say it to her face but my sister hosted a Christmas party with the flu and my 93 year old grandmother caught it and it killed her. That has to haunt her.

Lol. You just explained my every day

I think that IF it were a bioweapon it would be very unlikely to be Chinese because it binds to a gene which is especially prevalent among Chinese and other East Asians.

There is the possibility that they were trying to make a cure (for SARS) and it is known that the lab in Wuhan was working on such a project (search for “Will SARS come back”) and then released it accidentally but why then did it associate people who were in the market?

So how did it get to the market in Wuhan, where almost all of the first patients were reported?

1. Random natural evolution that just happens to be near Chinese biolab? (This is the non conspiracy theory)
  2. Bioweapon / Virus Lab worker spreads virus to market (This is the blame the Chinese conspiracy theory)
  3. Planted in Wuhan market to make it look like them weird bat-eating virus-making Chinese did it (This is the “blame China’s enemies”, conspiracy theory.)
  4. The Chinese planted it in the Wuhan market to make it look like someone had planted it on them!? (This is a bit too far fetched to me but conceivable. )

There is a big split between rich and poor in China. I visited Dairen Foreign Language University in China recently and even the split between the (compared to Wuhan’s lab, low tech) foreign language campus and the fishing village in front was big enough that I am willing to bet that I am the only person that frequented the fisherman’s cafe and the university. Even the students were not in that pre-modern (?) part of the town, much less the suited and manicured professors.The same is true here in Japan actually. I have never seen a colleague down at the fishing village purchasing live fish, only in purchasing fish in processed packs from supermarkets in the city. It seems unlikely to me that a high-tech laboratory scientist would be purchasing their dinner at that wet market, let alone accidentally drop a vial there or sell a lab animal as food to the market – these ideas seem to me to be absurd, but they could be plausible to those who see all Chinese as foreign and strange. Chinese lab workers are very modern imho.

Another possibly to add to that list is that a contaminated lab animal was sold to the wet market.

I don’t think establishing malice aforethought part is super important at the moment, since it won’t reduce the intensity of the illness. Maybe when the dust settles people can properly investigate it (but I doubt that will happen.)

Is it true that the corona virus isn’t a big deal?

I don’t think China admit cons.Theo.
So why we think about that