Coping? What does it mean?

We say we are coping or not coping, but what does ‘coping’ really mean? Is it about staying out of hospital or is it more than that? Would we still be seen as ‘coping’ if measured against a non mentally ill person? Are you coping at a high level,or are you only coping because the pressure on you isn’t great?

I’m coping because there’s not much,if any, pressure on me . I’m not sure a non mentally ill person would see it as coping. Even so it’s coping with help and support from others .

5 Likes

That’s currently the case with me I think.

4 Likes

Same here. Dont know how i would cope with a job for example.

4 Likes

I think I cope well. I’ve learned lots of tips and tricks throughout my life. I feel like I need to work on stress management a bit currently but all in all I think I’m doing fantastic even with the pressure I’m under

2 Likes

My coping is more fluid depending on a lot of factors. How I’m doing, how well I use my tools, intensity of stressors.

Before recovery I used drugs and alcohol to cope. Thanks to PHP,IOP, therapy and meds, I cope much healthier than I used to

2 Likes

For me, coping means multiple things, usually divided between physical and psychological.

My coping regimen means ‘multitasking’. When I wake up in the morning, I have to get myself ready by laying in bed to minimize fatigue. If I am having a high level of paranoia with any of the physical symptoms, I have to try to manage both physical and mental problems I’m having at that same time.

As you have asked what ‘coping’ might seem to a non-mentally ill person, many people in my physical disability community express concern for both psychological and physical state of themselves. Having a physical illness means that you often become disappointed or sad because you’re not yourself anymore. When you lose ability to do a certain activity, such as walking or even eating, it’s hard not to get sad.

I guess for a person like me managing both physical and mental illnesses, coping means to remind myself of the beauty and the virtue I have.

2 Likes

I find coping to be a way to deal with symptoms that hinder me

3 Likes

i’m coping bc my meds keep me stable

3 Likes

I cope with positive symptoms with meds but I cope with negative symptoms by going out a lot. I drink tea or coffee which somehow makes negative symptoms go away for a while and makes me forget my life is a mess. But I do more than cope right now.

2 Likes

My Achievements:
I am out of hospital and off medications.
I exercise a lot every day.
I take showers.
I floss my teeth with a water flosser, and brush my teeth with an electric toothbrush.
When I find myself bored or with nothing to do, I go for walks.
I play chess.
I keep myself busy all the time.
My intrusive thoughts, voices, delusions etc are in check.
I also shave.

So, by my benchmarks I am doing well.

3 Likes

Check a dictionary. You obviously love to overanalyze and deconstruct things needlessly. As with any word, it means what you are noting with it when you use it, and in different contexts it will mean different things, or even have no meaning at all.

Coping for me is - getting by

4 Likes

I’m coping because my parents my bf and my furbabies need me.

1 Like

Maybe I do think in too much depth about things , but that’s not a crime.

1 Like

You cope with mental illness by using coping skills. My coping skills are:

Low stress lifestyle
Yoga
Meditation
Prayer
Volunteering
Piano practice
Sleep hygiene
Good nutrition
Reading
Spanish language study
Music theory study
Pet ownership
Movies
Cooking
Social media
Cultural event attendance
Contact with family

2 Likes

Coping for me means I’m not in the hospital.

3 Likes

coping for me means i’m not angry.

1 Like

Coping for me means I balance my symptoms, take my meds and I now work 40 hours a week. I have to sleep a lot but I am doing it so far. My job is hard and demanding. I hear it takes two years to get comfortable with it. I

In 2017 I couldn’t do it. I tried working full time as an aircraft mechanic and I was always late for work. Constantly late. Just couldn’t get out of bed some mornings.

In 2018 I worked only three months out of the year but I didn’t really do that much. I had to leave early a couple of times because I forgot to take my meds. Most days I went in and hung around an hour or two and left but still logged 8 hours everyday. They were paying me really well though. The few days I had to work a whole day I did. I tried to go back to my aircraft mechanic job but they didn’t need the extra help anymore. I was just an independent contractor for them.

I went back to work full time this year on March 16th and I haven’t been late once yet. I didn’t really expect to be able to do it but I have surprised myself.

It took a long time to get here. I hope I can continue to cope.

3 Likes

That’s a long list of coping skills . I don’t even think I have any coping skills.

1 Like

Sure you do @firemonkey. You sound calm all the time, you get help when you have a problem, you are good to your family, you treat us well!?

3 Likes