Constantly thinking of something to invent

Do you think this is a stupid idea for a product? I have started thinking of new products to design just incase everything goes ahead with going to uni next year. You know how when you open new bin liners, they are always nearly impossible to separate at the top so you can put them on your bin? Well my first ok idea for what one of the uni projects would be would be a small tool that separates them for you when you press it. Like two small rubber sheets attached to something you press, so when you press it, it quickly separates the top of your bin liner for you. I think it might be an ok idea, but I am not sure if I am thinking big enough. Grueling criticism like it has no sale potential or not impressive enough for university work welcome.

3 Likes

It is actually really hard to think of something to invent. It is like all the big ideas have been taken and we are just going through all the smaller unsuccessful ideas as we go along. The only really new innovation is within new technologies. Like I keep watching Dragons Den and thinking how awful and prone to bankruptcy all the ideas are.

All ideas are prone to bankrupcy. What matters is how they’re executed and marketed.
You want to make the consumer feel like they want and need your product.

The day someone invents windshield wipers for eyeglasses, my money is theirs. Just saying.

2 Likes

I read a book on inventing awhile back. Youd have to be good in electronics to invent something these days. I wanted to invent the machines from my delusions that cause mind control and hearing stuff from projected voices. Like how the army has a machine that can cause synthetic hauntings in your house by slamming doors and playing music from a distance, it was in an article i read from a reputable news source.

2 Likes

maybe not a lot of potential sales in that. but you never know, maybe it could score you a $100,000 selling a patent.

i was amazed at all the golf inventions when i worked on a golf course. like a putter with a slot that allows you to pick up your golf ball without bending over, haha. a few of the older golfers had them.

sometimes it’s about improving a product as well. like with ergonomics, making it more user friendly.

we still need inventors, to develop new technologies and make our lives easier. it’s a noble proffession and you can have a different 9-5 job while you work on your inventions at home. im not smart enough or creative enough to invent personally, but im impressed with your interest in developing.

1 Like

My step-father was/is an electrical engineer I think. He told me that it’s better and easier to build/invent software than hardware. People can just switch around patents and steal your idea. There’s more money in software these days.

He also said building a small part or widget is better anyways.

1 Like

That sounds cheap to prototype. Make one, make a 30 sec infomercial and put it on kickstarter. See if there is a market.

Best case scenario you get 5-10k and can hire a factory to make them to honor pledges.

It could be a start of an inventor side gig.

1 Like

Its possible to do it after the course. Just trying to come up with ideas for the course really.

1 Like

New inventions are great if there is a consumer market for your new product. There are so many patents for products in the patent office; however, none will see the light of day if there is no consumer market for them. Inventing, prototyping, demonstrating, improving, customer feedback are all part of the process for those innovative ideas and or products.

1 Like

Something that really inspired me was these lights that are made like flowers and they open up when people walk by. I love creative stuff like that. It kind of makes me want to mix nature and technology, but I am not sure what I should do with it.

1 Like

Yeah I think one of the big problems is if you think of an idea, chances are someone has already thought of it. It takes a lot to come up with a creative and successful idea.

Also, you have to patent your invention, mass produce it, market it and profit from it. It’s a very strenuous process. Some inventors make it, some don’t. Two good examples are the Tesla electric Roadster and the 1st generation Apple Watch.

1 Like

Long ago, I designed a gear system that made a bicycles pedals bypass the area of inefficiency. So if one peddles position was all the way down at the bottom, the other peddle, rather than being located at the top position, was located 30 degrees forward. With that being the case, you could now press downward and get results, rather than have to wait for the bicycle to coast forward to get the peddle in that position in the first place. But I have never had the money to make a prototype.

1 Like

I like your idea for the bin liners. If people never attempted to invent things life would be difficult and boring. I say go for it!

1 Like

Whoever invented the invention should have patented it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

If that doesn’t work, could be a start for another invention, I wouldn’t share your ideas too much though, people are known to steal ideas

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.