Cognitive Problems

I read a lot on here about people furthering their education and it makes me feel lazy. But I barely made it through regular school so I’m afraid to go further. I had a really hard time in school. Do your cognitive problems not get it the way of school?

I am dyslexic I’ve come to find. I have to slow down and have stuff proof read. I also take a lot longer to remember stuff. I do get distracted easily so my homework is scheduled in little bits through out the week. I try to really make sure my sentence structure is correct and my vocabulary is good. I’m probably the only man who has trashed a Thesaurus from over use.

I have the english class on-line. I can take the time and I do ask my sis to edit, spell check, and proof read. The math is on campus and I’m better in math. I’m more confident in math and it’s not about letters that get mixed up in my head.

I do have some cognitive problems that makes my homework go slower, but this is my first quarter ever and I’m going to see how long I can do this.

I’d say don’t be afraid to try… high school is vastly different. Maybe try a class in art or something you already love so it’s not so hard on you. Or, go for community center classes that are 5 weeks and not 10 weeks. Just because the academic structure wasn’t easy on you the fist time around… (it wasn’t easy on me either) doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy learning something new…

1 Like

I understand cognitive problems interfering with academics. I tried taking a computer class and could understand very little of it. It was frustrating because, before my breakdown, I was a good student. After my failed attempt at computer class, I pursued interests at home using the library and have avoided any more attempts at formal education. But, never say never, I might try again. If the whole idea leaves you dry, I’d say let it go. Otherwise, no hurt in trying. Don’t call failing a pain, call it just not being ready.

2 Likes

I recently tried to take an online class in publishing e books. I simply couldn’t think or read. All I got was a swarm of bees. No thoughts or ideas came through. I think these are medicine side effects but I’m not sure.

I had cognitive difficulties long before meds but I think the meds made it a little worse.

very much so but more than that i have bad social anxiety i cannot concentrate very well your NOT lazy!!! i have to say this sometimes i forget that i have schizophrenia and give myself a hard time. this is a very serious disabling mental illness not laziness. you can only do your best. tc

Thanks dandydinmot, I do tend to beat myself up.

your welcome i do too A LOT.
i like playing the violin walking with my dogs in the woods little thigs like that what sort of stuff do you like to do?

1 Like

I like to play the piano and guitar a little. I go for bike rides on the trail if I’m feeling good.

1 Like

i think that schizophrenic people are very creative people really just do some things for yourself for pure pleasure like playing your piano or a nice bike ride.
you deserve it:)

3 Likes

Drewleo34,

I’ve earned two bachelor’s degrees, but both were before I started experiencing hallucinations, delusions, and significant cognitive problems. I think that the “prodromal” phase of my illness began when I was in the middle of getting my first degree, as I started to experience “negative” symptoms (mostly problems with energy and sleep) that I thought were depressive symptoms. I found getting my second degree more difficult, as I was struggling with “negative” symptoms the whole time, and the symptoms worsened during the time I spent pursuing that degree.

These days, I struggle a lot with reading. When I was just taking Abilify and not taking vitamin D with it, I oftentimes had problems getting to the end of relatively short news articles (or even getting past a sentence or two when my concentration was really bad). My concentration still is not very good, and I don’t know how much vitamin D will end up helping me in the long run.

Certainly, when my concentration was so poor that I couldn’t read more than a sentence or two at a time, taking more classes wouldn’t have been a good idea, given how important reading is to the educational process. So, yes, I do think that the cognitive problems associated with schizophrenia can be a tremendous obstacle that can get in the way of successfully completing courses, especially if the cognitive symptoms are really bad. If someone can’t concentrate well enough to read more than a sentence or two, doing the amount of reading that’s required for college courses just isn’t going to happen. Having said that, there might be treatment options (now or in the future) that might help to remedy the cognitive problems associated with schizophrenia, so even if your cognitive problems are really bad, I wouldn’t necessarily give up on the idea of ever furthering your education.

shadow

1 Like

My son didn’t make it through high school. A lot of problems started when he was in grade 8. Anyways my son is 20 now and we are looking into adult GED programs so that he can get his high school equivalent. Current medications seem to be helping him a lot so his ability to concentrate on things is a lot better. A lot of adults are going back to school to upgrade or start new careers. The programs we are looking into are not full time. It is never to late to try if it is something that you want to do.

I’m in my second semester working towards a nursing degree. Last semester I was un-medicated and could think clearly, got all A’s, but was SI/SU and ended up being hospitalized. This semester, now back on anti-psychotic rx, I’m really struggling with concentration and reading, plus lots of anxiety of going and being present in class. The first week of classes the prof. could have been speaking jibberish I was so out of it and could barely read a sentence. I talked with my pdoc and he prescribed me Strattera, which i think has helped me focus immensely and I can study for 25-30minutes at a time then I need a 30minute break. So yeah SZ and medications get in the way but I’m learning how to adapt. I may not be at the cognitive level I used to be at because everything is harder now and takes longer, but I don’t want to give up on my dream of being an RN. Just have to adapt to life.

What im finding is that when it comes to things like numbers say the number is 23456 - im not remember the numerical order properly…

I can be sure but my spelling might be getting worse…

Like - I dont know if this is a SZ symptom but Im getting i dont what to call them other than micro seizures. Id say the last for about 1/4 of a second but one eye seems to move of their own accord. Usually its only one eye so its annoying as I lose my focus. I had one writing this post.

Their arrival is really kinda unpredictable. I don’t know what I should even call them.

Did I mention how I hate this damn condition?

They kind of do…it’s hard to explain. I could learn more quickly before I was on medications, but now I can focus much longer and I actually go to class instead of sit at home and drink. My GPA went up half a point to a 3.96 last semester from a 3.5 (my gpa unmedicated). I am not quite as sharp as I was before schizophrenia, I think it has effected my IQ, but I am obviously still above average because I make straight A’s without breaking a sweat.

So no, I have cognitive problems (I forget names and misplace objects around the house, I walk into a room and dont know why I did, only to remember why after I sit back down) but they dont affect my performance in school. They are very minor and aren’t really significant. I am fortunate to have responded to meds, they helped me with my attention span but slightly slowed down my processing speed, I cant do math in my head as well, for example. I have to take a second to add up how much weight the plates on the barbell add up to, for example, I used to do that without having to think.