Coercive Treatment:Good or Bad

I was wondering what anybody else’s experience with coercive treatment was like. That basically means restraints and involuntary medication. I’m curious as to whether other people consider them good, bad, or neutral.

The reason I’m asking is that the last time I was committed, I was restrained cuz I was punching the nurse’s station window. At first it was terrifying with all of the security people there holding me down and I thought it was the worst experience of my life. It was Bad. But while I was laying there, the one-on-one nurse talked with me the whole time and really made me feel safe and calm and it was Good. Of course, the B-52 (50 mg Benadryl + 5mg Haldol + 2mg Ativan) injection they stuck in my butt may have been what REALLY made me feel good, I don’t know…

So what do you think? Is it a necessary evil? What is your opinion on involuntary medication? Do you think a court has the right to order a person to take medication or face automatic commitment? What about the practice of chemical restraint in an “emergency”?

1 Like

I once asked asked to go to the hospital, then I had to go through the court to get out because my case manager set up the petition that way. (Really a petition isn’t necessary). I had two doctors psychoanalyze me and the one doctor went to court with me and told them all my secrets. So coercive treatment is a “FU*K no” in my book

2 Likes

Yeah, court sucks cuz there’s no way in hell a psych patient’s testimony is going to be believed over a shrink’s testimony. I told a judge last week that I no longer met the criteria for involuntary commitment (danger to self, danger to others, grave disability) and his entire response was to say “duly noted” then dismiss the court!

1 Like

I don’t agree with being forced but the first time I was hospitalized they forced Zyprexa on me and I felt like I was hit by a truck.

3 Likes

I think if it’s necessary, it’s necessary. But, they should be looking into other options and have exluded other possibilities before using force.
In other words, I think it’s sometimes a necessary evil.

5 Likes

I think it’s sometimes necessary, but frequently abused. I used to work at a residential facility, and sometimes we needed to hold the kids to stop them from severely hurting themselves or others. But we always made sure they knew we cared about them, and that we just wanted to keep them safe. I’m sure it was still very traumatic for them, but hopefully it was less traumatic than actually stabbing somebody or nearly killing themselves. It was pretty traumatic for us workers, too. We didn’t like having to watch these kids in crisis, barely able to help them.

2 Likes

It is good because often the alternative is endless psychosis that destroys your life and your brain.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess altho the experience was bad, it led to a good outcome…without the court order for involuntary medication, I would still be carrying a dead rat around and so paranoid about my home that I was sleeping in my truck in 10 degree weather. It WAS a necessary evil to put me in a healthier state of mind…

2 Likes

And this would have been simply the beginning…

1 Like

Sometimes I agree it is necessary.

Tbh I think they need to find a better solution. As someone who was forcibly medicated I think sometimes the trauma that can come from it can cause way more harm than a lot of people realize in the long run. Case in point, me, I can’t do meds now because I become incredibly triggered and suicidal at the thought of taking meds of any kind. Also it’s just so violating to the person your body is theirs to do with as they please you are at the mercy of the staff. I like to think most places don’t abuse that power but the fact remains a lot of places do abuse it. And when it is abused i belive the trauma can be very similar to that of a rape victim because of the violation.

So in some cases maybe it’s necessary but only as a last resort.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.