Schizophrenia.com

Clozapine?

Hi. I’ve been having delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations for about the last 11 years. I’ve tried Abilify, Risperdal, Vraylar, Geodon, and am currently on Zyprexa (10 mg) and Invega Sustenna (234 mg every 3 weeks). I consider myself treatment-resistant. I’m wanting to try Clozapine if my doctor thinks it’s a good idea. Anyone have any experiences to share or thoughts on the matter? Thank you. Just to be clear, I’m aware that it has a nasty side effect profile and that for the first few months on it you need to get blood work done.

2 Likes

It is a great med. Helps with positive symptoms a lot. You do drool a lot and there are frequent blood tests though. :horse::horse::horse:

2 Likes

K thanks for your input

1 Like

it helped wonders for me. The blood work is annoying but you get used to that.

1 Like

It’s the best AP that exists.

5 Likes

Yea the blood work is the least attractive part for me.

1 Like

I’m glad to be on it but the side effects aren’t great. Weight gain. Night drooling. Some incontinence. Regular bloodwork.

1 Like

Is the drooling only when you’re asleep? I’m hoping I don’t put on weight…I haven’t put on weight on any APs including Abilify Risperdal Geodon Invega and Zyprexa

1 Like

The incontinence I could do without, too lol

1 Like

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

1 Like

Drooling while asleep only. I got waterproof pillow covers so my pillows don’t get gross. Yeah I could do without any incontinence! I gained a lot at the start but now I have lost some.

1 Like

Oh, that’s good about the drooling.

1 Like

Clozapine is a drug with unique properties, and for some people, it is the best and may be almost a godsend.

That said, it is one of the most dangerous medications in clinical use, and also has a troublesome side-effect profile.

For most people, the main problem with clozapine is not the lethal agranulocytosis, but (a) the disruption of the swallowing reflex, leading to nocturnal drooling and problems swallowing certain foods, (b) weight gain and associated metabolic disorders like diabetes, and © unwanted sedation. Maybe I missed something?

In other words, it’s the best drug for some people, but for the majority it is not. Alas, you don’t know in advance to which category you belong.

Personally, I agreed to try it in the hope of amelioration of negative symptoms, which alas did not materialise, and now I’m having trouble getting the doctors to switch me to another drug with a better side-effect profile, and I regret ever agreeing to a trial.

-Albert.

1 Like

I started on clozaril about ten yours ago, It has been a real godsend and a game changer for me, the only ap that worked for me, now for the bad news, the side effects are many and those are weight gain, drooling at night, going to the toilet a lot, some sedation, also blood work every day then then once a week, then once a every two weeks, then once every four weeks, all in all i will put up with the side effect as the pros outweigh the cons!

2 Likes

@schizornot @seanieireland thanks for your input. I go back and forth on thinking I’m a schizophrenic, so I’m not sure I’ll be taking clozapine. Will update

1 Like

I went through such a phase too. It was in the middle of a paranoid episode.

You don’t need to have schizophrenia to use clozapine. The question is whether it can help you. Alas, you can’t tell without actually trying it.

-A.

2 Likes

Does clozapine give you memory problems?

Yep, my short term memory is affected,!

1 Like

I’m having trouble swallowing

Me too. Clozapine disrupts the swallowing reflex. Most typically, this manifests as drooling on the pillow at night.

-Al.