Clinical trial: First treatment for 'emotional flatness' associated with schizophrenia

Now the results of a new Phase III clinical trial indicate that the negative symptoms may be treatable with a new investigational drug, cariprazine, which binds to the D2 and D3 dopamine receptor with D3 preference. The researchers, all from the Gedeon Richter pharmaceutical company which developed the drug, enrolled 461 men and women in a randomised, double-blind clinical trial, to compare cariprazine against risperidone (which is commonly used to treat schizophrenia). Patients were treated for 26 weeks, with 77.4% of enrolled patients completing the trial. Full details of the trial are given in the abstract.

more info:

5 Likes

Good find. Very interesting…

Wow. When does it come out? I want to try this. The only problem I see is the link you gave us said it can worsen schizophrenia symptoms. That’s worrisome. But it has no effect on QT interval, no prolactin, no metabolic issues, and improves cognition. Cool.

Seems like schizophrenics get new hope as the years pass. Hopefully we will be closer to a better group of medications.

1 Like

how many year will cariprazine take to hit the market alll over the woorld…
will it be in generic form or expensive one…
cause i am from nepa l(asia)…will it coming to asia…

Do any of you think this will cause sexual dysfunction, that why I had to stop abilify cos of sexual difficulties, but I’m back on resperidone again and sex has come back. I hope cariprazine doesn’t cause sexual dysfunction. It may be a promising medicine. Fingers crossed though.

1 Like