Cariprazine - New medication that treats Negative Symptoms in Schizophrenia

This is just news from the company - so we’ll see how it does in the real world with data from third parties:

A novel antipsychotic that treats predominant persistent negative symptoms in schizophrenia and improves overall function is significantly more effective than standard antipsychotic therapy and is well tolerated, new phase 3 trial results indicate.

“What’s important is that cariprazine was significantly more effective than risperidone [Risperdal, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc] at not only improving symptoms but also the functionality of patients,” George Nemeth, MD, PhD, chief medical officer, Gedeon Richter, Budapest, Hungary, told Medscape Medical News.

Source:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/850701

More info:

4 Likes

When do you think it will be out?

1 Like

From Wikipedia:

“The drug has a pending New Drug Application as of March 2015 for bipolar I and schizophrenia, with a decision expected by the FDA in the second quarter of 2015.”

1 Like

I want to take this drug. I wonder how long it will take to be covered by my insurance and in stock at the local pharmacy.

2 Likes

Is it an atypical antipsychotic?

How bad is the weight gain? I’m on Risperdal and I’m considering Geodon. Does cariprazine help with motivation?

Everything I know about the medication is in the above posting - sorry I can’t answer more questions.

Now, this is very impressive news - I am starting to show an interest in Cariprazine because of this.

1 Like

I hope it really works and becomes available soon!my main symptoms now are just negative symptoms

1 Like

Hopefully we’ll get an equivalent in the UK soon after, Olanzapine isn’t doing enough

2 Likes

I might try this if it doesn’t screw with my sex hormones it will be good

1 Like

There seems to be an interest in Cariprazine (Vraylar) by quite a few people on here.

Thought that I would revive this thread.

I will be trying Vraylar in a couple of days - and I do suffer from Negative symptoms.

I will be posting Updates on my experience with Vraylar.

6 Likes

Wave, good luck.
Let us know.

1 Like

Hope it works for you wave!

1 Like