Psychiatric disorders in child and adolescent offspring of patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: A controlled study

CONCLUSIONS:

The higher rates of ADHD in offspring of people who have schizophrenia suggest that abnormal neurodevelopmental processes may exert a stronger influence in children of patients with schizophrenia than Bipolar disorder. Follow-up of these children will help elucidate the role of ADHD and depression phenotypes in predicting future transition to schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

Source:

What is CC (community controls) parents?
Neurotypicals?

Families where the parents don’t have schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

Note:

A great parenting program that I’ve seen and heard good recommendations from (from psychologists in the US) is this program / book called The Incredible Years - for help bringing up mentally healthy children:

more videos:

More info:

http://www.cebc4cw.org/program/the-incredible-years/detailed

2 Likes

More info on this program:

http://www.episcenter.psu.edu/ebp/incredible

At the school I worked at, we used the Circles program for social behavior and ABA To respond to maladaptive behaviors. The thought behind ABA is that every behavior happens for a reason, so we observe the kid to find out what need they are trying to meet and then begin teaching them an easier and more effective way of getting that need met. So if a kid bites people to get out of doing work, we teach them to just ask for a break, and if they do bite, we don’t let them escape their work until they ask appropriately.

The problem with ABA is that it doesn’t work for peer aggression, because other kids are not going to ignore someone being mean to them. This program looks like it is more effective at dealing with peer behaviors. It seems very similar though.

Thanks @SzAdmin.
Gotta check this out. And probably provide more burdening questions for @notmoses.
( so far I’m mostly concerned for his noticeable intolerance of failures. and he also says sorry a lot, just like me).

In the haste with which I sometimes – and unfortunately – respond to statements I see on this forum, I sometimes forget my observations of the similarities – and differences – between

1. substance-abusing sz pts and substance abusers in general,
  2. manic (often co-morbidly bipolar) sz pts and manics in general, and
  3. learned helpless sz pts and learned helpless depression / anxiety pts in general.

In many respects, these three groupings of pts act very similarly and often for very similar reasons. But sz is an extreme form of such reactions to childhood insults owing to more severe genetic deficits. The “typical” sz pt (and especially those for whom the medications work poorly or induce severe sfx) has a very good reason – in his or her mind – to be trapped in dysfunctional beliefs, learned helpless and treatment resistant.

I have tried a number of approaches here to see if one can break through their understandable ego defenses to show them that there are many things they can do to improve the quality of their lives. Some of them are bound to induce a lot of push-back, especially in those who were severely invalidated, neglected, rejected, abandoned, abused and otherwise mistreated by their families, by a culture that doesn’t want to see or hear about sz, and by the mental health “industry.”

That is something to be concerned about. Be very careful not to praise your child for his or her success - but instead focus on their “Effort” - how hard they try (whatever the results).

Read this and watch this video - lots of research on this topic has been done and its very important:

How Not to Talk to Your Kids
The inverse power of praise.

and the video by this well-known researcher:

and more related reading:

https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=32124

2 Likes

I was talking about Luka :confused:
Communication disorder…troubling with pronouns, perhaps, again?

1 Like

Thank you so much for your effort : )

1 Like

Wish this would have been around when my son was young!
I`m very glad to see understanding in some areas for children.