Chemicals in the brain

I think there is more chemicals in the brain than just dopamine, serotonin, estrogen, and testosterone. Who knows how many chemicals there are in the brain. If the experts can discover more chemicals in the brain, then I believe they can help sz more. Does anybody know of more chemicals in the brain?

1 Like

Another one is adrenaline! But I guess there are many.

2 Likes

Aps and antidepressants just effect dopamine, and serotonin right?

1 Like

I think it depends on the ad. I know SSRIs work on Serotonine. Wellbutrin boosts dopamine. Different drugs work in different ways. Ap’s mostly work on D2 (dopamine), but I know clozapine also impacts serotonin.

Here’s a copy paste of Wikipedia:

Antipsychotic drugs such as haloperidol and chlorpromazine tend to block dopamine D2 receptors in the dopaminergic pathways of the brain. This means that dopamine released in these pathways has less effect. Excess release of dopamine in the mesolimbic pathway has been linked to psychotic experiences. Decreased dopamine release in the prefrontal cortex, and excess dopamine release in other pathways, are associated with psychotic episodes in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.[119][120]

In addition to the antagonistic effects of dopamine, antipsychotics (in particular atypical neuroleptics) also antagonize 5-HT2A receptors. Different alleles of the 5-HT2A receptor have been associated with schizophrenia and other psychoses, including depression.[121][122] Higher concentrations of 5-HT2A receptors in cortical and subcortical areas, in particular in the right caudate nucleus have been historically recorded.[121]

Typical antipsychotics are not particularly selective and also block dopamine receptors in the mesocortical pathway, tuberoinfundibular pathway, and the nigrostriatal pathway. Blocking D2 receptors in these other pathways is thought to produce some unwanted side effects that the typical antipsychotics can produce (see above). They were commonly classified on a spectrum of low potency to high potency, where potency referred to the ability of the drug to bind to dopamine receptors, and not to the effectiveness of the drug. High-potency antipsychotics such as haloperidol, in general, have doses of a few milligrams and cause less sleepiness and calming effects than low-potency antipsychotics such as chlorpromazine and thioridazine, which have dosages of several hundred milligrams. The latter have a greater degree of anticholinergic and antihistaminergic activity, which can counteract dopamine-related side-effects.[ citation needed ]

Atypical antipsychotic drugs have a similar blocking effect on D2 receptors; however, most also act on serotonin receptors, especially 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors. Both clozapine and quetiapine appear to bind just long enough to elicit antipsychotic effects but not long enough to induce extrapyramidal side effects and prolactin hypersecretion.[123] 5-HT2A antagonism increases dopaminergic activity in the nigrostriatal pathway, leading to a lowered extrapyramidal side effect liability among the atypical antipsychotics.[123][124]

1 Like

I think there’s lots. Many undiscovered ones perhaps

2 Likes

No, Olanzapine effects 17 different receptor types. I believe that is more than any other AP

From Wikipedia:

Major neurotransmitters:

In addition, over 100 neuroactive peptides have been found, and new ones are discovered regularly. Many of these are co-released along with a small-molecule transmitter. Nevertheless, in some cases, a peptide is the primary transmitter at a synapse. Beta-Endorphin is a relatively well-known example of a peptide neurotransmitter because it engages in highly specific interactions with opioid receptors in the central nervous system.

Single ions (such as synaptically released zinc) are also considered neurotransmitters by some, as well as some gaseous molecules such as nitric oxide (NO), carbon monoxide (CO), and hydrogen sulfide (H2S)

1 Like

I’m sorry I meant to say that aps and antidepressants only effects the chemicals dopamine and serotonin. All the other stuff aren’t chemicals right? Receptor types, neurotransmitters aren’t chemicals right?

Caplyta works on glutamate. (I don’t understand it, mostly because I’m not interested, so I don’t pay attention.)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.