CBD legality clarified by DEA

June 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ – The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has issued a statement further clarifying their interpretation and enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). In their statement, they make clear the critical difference between CBD and THC, a distinction that CBDfx and other cannabidiol retailers have been fighting to bring to light.

The DEA agrees that the CSA targets marijuana specifically because of the psychoactive properties found in THC, its primary active ingredient. Because THC is an intoxicating agent, and CBD is not, the DEA now sees fit to clarify that “Products and materials that are made from the cannabis plant and which fall outside the CSA definition of marijuana… are not controlled under the CSA. Such products may accordingly be sold and otherwise distributed throughout the United States without restriction under the CSA.”

This is incredible news and confirmation for the millions of CBD users nationwide who have now gained yet another layer of legitimacy to their usage of cannabidiol. The statement by the DEA now means that:

CBD may be imported/exported to and from the USA without restriction, and;
CBD may be lawfully purchased and sold throughout the country
Although in practice this was already the case, there was a perceived gray area due to widespread misunderstanding and conflation of CBD versus THC as well as the effects (or lack thereof) of each compound.

6 Likes

You still have to grow marijuana to make it. I don’t think that would be a very large industrial base.

If the government tells me I can grow marijuana in my backyard for CBD my wife would love it. She would harvest all the THC.

They can obtain CBD from hemp that has very low THC. And there are CBD isolates available without THC.

3 Likes

Decriminalizing illict drugs would be a revolutionary move, one that I would love to see happen, but doubt I will.

Regarding the alcohol industry – the very dismal failure that was Prohibition should tell people that banning susbtances doesn’t work; in fact, it creates organized crime, gross inflation of the cost of the product, and throws a ton of otherwise benign people in jail at an astronomical cost to taxpayers, not to mention emotional costs to families.

The very fact that alcohol and cigarettes are legal whereas marijuana and amphetamines, etc., are not is monstrously hypocritical and just shows the tremendous effect wealthy lobbyists have on our legislators.

Legalize the drugs. Standardize the doses. Tax them at exorbitant rates like tobacco and reinvest the profits into drug education. Eliminate accidental overdoses. Save billions of taxpayer dollars by removing drug-related “criminals” from the courts and prisons. Eliminate the need for organized underground crime. Keep dollars in America (and Canada). Reduce inflated insurance costs incurred by ER-hopping drug seekers. Stop prosecuting innocent people and respect adults’ right to make their own decisions.

3 Likes

@InnerCircle ahhh but there’s big money in prisons…

Oh, this is so wonderful. Wonderful news. CBD oil capsules are so helpful for my arthritis pain all over my body and also for my generalized anxiety and nervous habits. I take 15 mg of CBD oil every day.

This clarifies, thank you, because I’ve found lots of contradicting info online. I hope the stigma will eventually disappear.