Can't you ignore them or just tell them to shut up?

certain people thinks its possible to just ignore the voices or tell them to shut up. its never that simple I explained this to my therapist and have tried to explain it to other people.

2 Likes

Even after almost 22 years, I have a low threshold of coping when the voices strike. I don’t respond aloud to them, but I become very crestfallen.

2 Likes

There’s another layer to the voices and that’s control. Meds take away some of their control over you but they also have control over our mind

2 Likes

I don’t ignore, but I don’t always respond. The more attention I give them, and the more upset I get the worse it is. I do tell them to shut up at times when they’re just saying annoying things. When I’m actually being attacked, and told to hurt myself, it’s a matter of listening and waiting until they give up.

1 Like

I try drowning them out with music, I tried ignoring them. I tried doing other things to distract me from the voices. It’s not as easy as the normies make it out to be.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten better at this over time… sometimes it helps to win an argument with them… the first time that happened and they actually went away for a few seconds was pretty cool…

when you are used to hearing voices though… silence can send you scrambling just as well, bringing them back.

it helps to break down the delusions that validate their existence… and also taking away their credit to say anything worth considering…

it’s tough but once you start moving away from that “listening” state of mind in search of a more normal mental landscape… you might find with time you can get away from it for longer and longer periods of time…

at least that is how it seems to be going for me.

1 Like

Well you can, but from my experience they don’t care either way.

1 Like

You should tell these people that if it was possible to just ignore voices or tell them to shut up, you would be doing it whenever they speak.

1 Like

I can’t ignore them… telling them to shut up just seems to make them louder…

I try to focus on other things… but that doesn’t always work either.

It’s frustrating… I do have periods of quiet…

So when they do flair up… it really gets me again.

1 Like

You can’t stop a eagle from flying over your head, but you surely can stop a eagle from making a nest on your head.
-have a good day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes