Can you hear your thoughts?

I’ve never heard it called that

Oh damn… when I was smoking cigs and was changing meds and falling asleep my wheezing chest sounded like a women getting beaten up outside my window. Scared the schiz out of me

1 Like

Yes, it’s referred to as inner monologue, and that’s normal.

2 Likes

Keep in mind though that many symptoms disrupt this inner monologue, for instance racing thoughts, disorganized thinking, and delusional ideas can all happen inside your head.

I’m sure he’d expect that to be the case with “normal” people… but I believe his question was more in the vein of seeing if SZ had an effect on the monologue…

there is one poster here who claims to not have thoughts…

I’m doing my best to get away from thoughts, the entire construct of identity is wrought with judgement. Some of those words are no good for ones psyche. and it keeps my voices quiet… cause I was a vain solipsistic jesus for a while there.

Based on the phrasing, I interpreted the question as whether or not the auditory hallucinations overpower inner monologue. I did list ways that SZ can affect internal monologue, though.

I interpreted it differently, but that is probably due to bias that I have regarding the topic.

After rereading those the wording could have been improved to be more specific.

What’s odd though is the monologue is a reflection of what is happening deeper in the brain… they are more an affirmative byproduct of actually thinking rather than them being a part of the thinking process themselves. As they are lingual sentences, their is obvious preorganization going on behind thoughts.

But that’s a tangential rant… just while we are on the topic

I’ve always seen it as the result of thought, thoughts, you know?

What I find interesting is that there are actually two realms of thinking, there is the internal monologue, and then visual thinking.

However until today, i’ve seen nothing about visual thought on this forum at all. Do you have visualization? I have always had little to none

1 Like

Yeah my mind does visuals… not all the time… but it’s kind of seamless when they are there. It might be a flashback to another time and place where I’ve felt something similar… or flash backs to video games and things like that… it’s pretty useless but does leave me feeling a little more connected to the past. I’m not a very emotional person… so there isn’t that kind of weight or “baggage” tying me to the past. Just nostolgia tied into those visuals.

It does have uses in spatial processing and planning.

I think there are more realms of thinking beyond lingual/visual… thinking as a physical being… planing motion and stuff like that. Emotions also interact with thinking, pushing it back to neutral ground or pulling them into obsessive focus and embrace… something controls that.

there is a high degree of variance in how people’s minds operate.

like regarding visual processing you have photographic memory on the far end of that spectrum… then there is also imagination in general… and then about 100 other different skills to make imagining things practical at all.

I can see faces clearly in my mind sometimes… but I can’t draw faces at all. I know exactly what they are supposed to look like, but I don’t even know where to start.

Nonono, i’m talking about when you think about an apple, from what I understand most people can visualize an apple in their thoughts.

Yeah… dodge vipers and all that crap.

I have schiophrenia and yes if the voices are loud enough they can overpower human dialogue (from the persons mind.

Yes I can hear my own voices as well as the auditory hallucinations. My head is a hellpit, my inner voice is a gentlemen, and my life is smoking 24/7.

I would say I can hear my regular thoughts usually. But it is different from hearing my actual voice when I speak out loud. I never mistake the one for the other. So clearly there is some difference. I might be stating the obvious, but then again, sometimes we need to be reminded of the obvious…

By contrast, when I first started hearing voices (hallucinations) I heard them as I would hear real people next to me speak. With a clear direction etc. Later on, surprisingly (?), I would hear them without a location, or if pressed, I might agree to saying I’d hear them inside my head. What kept me from confusing them from ‘my own thoughts’ (i.e., those I would agree to and endorse as my own upon reflection), was their content and tone, these were different from my own regular thoughts.

What I have always called intrusive thoughts are in many respects indistinguishable from regular thought. Only their content was radically differen from what I would agree to and endorse as my own when giving it a second thought. And they were kinda surprising. Regular thought seems like it should be, unsurprising, and in my control.

1 Like