Can anyone explain the 1515 thing?

I’ve noticed in a lot of discussion threads on here people randomly write 1515 or variants of it (such as 15151515 etc.), usually at the end of their comment but also sometimes in the title of the original post. But it’s never explained or enquired about, so I’m wondering: (1) is it some sort of “in joke” that only longtime members understand? (2) is it a technical malfunction with the website and in reality no-one is deliberately typing it? (3) is it a technical malfunction with just my computer? (4) worst case scenario, am I hallucinating it?

Thank you for shedding some light!

1 Like

Its because it takes 15 characters to post so ppl just write 1515 to fill the space

2 Likes

When you reply to a thread, the software requires a minumum of 15 characters in the answer. So people use 1515 to fill the requirement if they make a one word answer or too short an answer. A lot of people will actually write
“15 characters.”
But actually you can write any word or words you want to fill in.

3 Likes

I always write … 15.

1 Like

15 is a quarter of 60. 60 is an integer, whole number, and rational number. We’re actually mathematicians; in disguise. Please forward all of your arithmetic

GL

8 Likes

Schizophrenics on this website believe by writing 1515 we are contacting the dead and they are able to view our posts 1515 is also used for living sacrifices

3 Likes

15 characters is the minimum length for a post…

I still havent understood “The Great Potato” jokes very clearly… Lol

2 Likes

@anon80490300 @77nick77 I suppose I’m too verbose to have encountered that so far. Thank you for explaining!

4 Likes

This is what happened when I pressed “reply” after just 4 characters.

So when people want to give a short reply they pad it out with “1515” etc.

2 Likes

@HuckFinn I haven’t seen those yet or if I have I didn’t notice or remember.

1 Like

I didn’t get it either. Thanks for inquiring about this, now the mystery has been resolved!

1 Like

151615 012345679

1 Like

Lol. I thought people had issues when they wrote that 1515 stuff :blush:

3 Likes

I thought it was a software bug until I asked someone shortly after I joined.

2 Likes

Origins of 1515 relate to the hyperbolic numeric value of ‘23

3 * 5 = 15 and 15/5 = 3

Thus there are ‘2’ sets of 3 2 <------>3

conjoined we have an irrevocably, uncoincidentally and yet impervious conclusion ergo constrained to the numerical value 23.

either that or its 15 characters :raising_hand_man:

4 Likes

When you type fifteen in a row @LevelJ1 gets a special notification and puts on a pink tutu and dances around his house.

(Kidding)

:laughing:

7 Likes

shhhhhh thats top secret :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I use … it works but is probably annoying…

1 Like

Not anymore…

8 Likes

Okay so this is from like 5 years ago, when we first instituted the blanket ban on religious discussions. Some users were very upset with us, and other users teased them by pretending to be outraged that they couldn’t talk about their “religion” Potatoism. Over time, that became the official fake religion of the forum. Potatoists believe in the Great Potato, who may one day deliver us to his starchy kingdom. It has since evolved into a long running joke or a way to get around the religion ban. Since the great potato isn’t a real religion, people sometimes invoke his name instead of referring to an actual deity. Sort of like pastafarianism.

Edited to add: I believe @Nomad gets credit for starting the potato thing

8 Likes