Brain Plasticity and Recovery from Schizophrenia

A good article for people to read:

To understand how Posit Science tackles neurological diseases, let’s consider schizophrenia. Schizophrenics typically suffer from hallucinations, delusion and disorganised reasoning. These symptoms result from an excess of dopamine and noradrenaline, the neurotransmitters that modulate the reward feedback-loop control-arousal levels in the brain. Underlying this chemical reaction are what Merzenich calls “failure modes of the plastic brain”: weaknesses in the neurological apparatus, specifically in working memory – a cognitive skill that indicates a person’s capacity to manipulate information, such as computing sums – and the ability to make predictions. Antipsychotic medication, which suppresses these neurotransmitters, is effective in mitigating symptoms such as hallucinations but doesn’t fix the cognitive structure.

Read this page:

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2014/05/features/game-your-brain/page/2

6 Likes

Yes, I read and value that article.

I believe I reprogrammed my brain in my twenties by doing manual labor. That is, my brain was almost not working, but I got it back to functioning. For example. I use several times as many words today as I used to use in my mid twenties.

In AA I often hear arguments against multitasking. It seems for recovering alcoholics (which I am also) multitasking interferes with comfort level. Therefore, my idea of multitasking has been to smoke a cigarette and make a cup of decaf while talking on the phone. And I am aware that many of the people who call me to talk are doing several other things at the same time they are talking to me.

“Use it or lose it,” seems to apply to not only my biceps but also my brain! I do go through life challenging fundamental beliefs I formerly defended fiercely.

Thanks, Brian!

Jayster

1 Like

I read that in doing something - drawing, reading, etc. everyday, the part of the brain that’s involved in doing that will grow new brain cells + continue to.

hey,

I was a real brain early but teenage years math became problematic…I matriculated to university but failed everything either though I majored in English…still I got there…

I don’t think this is major news! It’s pretty well documented that periods of psychosis and depression make modifications to that iq quotient! I was a prime example of mathematical problems but no one picked up on it! I was top 5 percent down to the mid range by adolescent years!

Not hard to draw some conclusions out of that information at all!

A friend in the struggle,

rogueone.

I’m reading “Surviving Schizophrenia” by E.Fuller Torrey MD. It’s bringing me up to date on advances in understanding the disease. The book is a thorough examination of all aspects of SZ from a psychiatrist 's POV. He’s also a practicing psychiatrist and has a lot of experience and compassion for with people like us.

2 Likes

I’ve read similar articles, I understand the dopamine.

the glutamine is what drives the paranoia though it seems, and scientists haven’t put the full equation together is all I can find in everything I’ve read.

Like when I was paranoid people were following me, about the last thing I myself considered would be to goto the dr for a pill, that seemed like a riduculous suggestions. Now that I’ve been through it, I get it.

1 Like

Another good read is The Mind and the Brain: Neuroplasiticity and the Power of Mental Force. Talks about how we can alter our brains with our minds. Recommended to me by my shrink.

4 Likes

I used a lot of that book to write my latest papers. It’s condensed and quickly covers everything, it’s no abnormal psych textbook in terms of detail but it covers it all

1 Like

Looks like a good book:

1 Like

Thank you for this resource, so it is possible to recover brain functionality through training?

to a degree, yes

is a pretty vague term, but I would say “yes” to that.

1 Like

I read the article they are using computer software to train the subject’s mind. Besides cognitive impairment, suppressed mood also cannot be neglected, IMO.