Schizophrenia.com

Body Language

Just got back from a family birthday party and felt a little self conscious. I get really frustrated by my odd tics, stiff movements, flat affect and general lack of normal body language mannerisms. I know a lot of it has to do with my meds but there doesn’t seem to be much I can do about it since these work pretty well for my paranoia and auditory hallucinations.

I have some family members who I have opened up and told about my illness but a lot of other people I am hesitant to talk with. I also have a fear of meeting up with some of my facebook friends who I haven’t seen in years since I don’t look or move much like the person I was before I first became ill. I almost wonder if taking a beginner’s class in acting would help me loosen up a bit.

I am extremely grateful that my illness is much better. Maybe I shouldn’t try too hard to fit in anymore.

5 Likes

Cognitive Enhancement /Behavioral therapy has made my life livable.

This book wasn’t out when I needed it.

But the classes I went to for social skills helped me a lot. There are book, classes, all sort’s of resources for this.

The developing confidence was also needed. I’m not all the way where I want to be yet, but I’m better then I was.

6 Likes

Quote:
“Maybe I shouldn’t try too hard to fit in anymore.”

By that do you mean, give up trying to fit in? Or do you mean, you can pass for normal without putting out so much effort anymore?

I wish i had had social skills help. Mine are rated very poor. In the UK there is much less support for social skills training. According to the latest NICE guidelines for schizophrenia and psychosis http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/14382/66529/66529.pdf page 289 > 9.10.5 Clinical evidence summary

The review found no evidence to suggest that social skills training is effective in
improving the critical outcomes. None of the new RCTs were UK based, with most
new studies reporting non-significant findings. There was limited evidence for the
effectiveness of social skills training on negative symptoms. However this evidence
is primarily drawn from non-UK studies and is largely driven by one small study
(RONCONE2004) that contains multiple methodological problems

9.10.7 Recommendations
9.10.7.1 Do not routinely offer social skills training (as a specific intervention) to
people with psychosis or schizophrenia. [2009]2009

At 57 i fear it is too late to become socially skilled without help but as shown above such help is non existent

1 Like

I don’t know if this will help. I have heard of public speakers using the mind set of picturing their audience in different modes of dress, to sort of take the edge of their feelings of being so self conscious. Maybe pretend for a moment that everyone in the room has a mental illness and that they are all struggling with some form of being self conscious and unsure. In actuality I’m sure a lot of them are.

I have heard/read of some parents thinking of putting their loved one in acting classes. In my opinion the person is still left trying to act a certain way and I don’t think that you should have to do that. Learning basic social skills I think is a good idea but other then that, I say, be yourself.

3 Likes

I guess I am just a little frustrated because what I think my facial and body muscles are doing and what they actually do are different things. I’m thinking it may actually help me to practice in front of my webcam instead of a mirror :smile:

Thanks I’ll check this out.

http://www.businessballs.com/body-language.htm

the ■■■■

Thanks… good info… I hope people don’t think I am lying when I actually have an itchy nose! :smile: Yeah… in fact I have to wonder if a lot of my excessive blinking isn’t just due to dry eye and too much computer time.

That might be a good idea.

my body language is better but not good, but i just don’t care any more what other people think, i do my best !
take care

2 Likes

I used to walk like a zombie and my thoughts were slowed down considerably - this happens to me on higher doses of meds. I am weaning off of Depakote ER a powerful sedating mood stabilizer, I am now on a very low dose and will be getting off of this poison soon. I am more alert and move around like I should - normal. Its the ■■■■■■■ meds - too much of them in your system and you turn into a drooling, shuffling idiot - too low and your symptomatic, I guess there is a fine line

It is staggering how much meds can have an effect. It blew me away how fast my brother seemed to wake up out of hibernation when his meds got switched. For over a year my poor brother was shutting down and sitting very still and sinking into himself.

Meds got switched and within a few months it was like night and day. Then the therapy happened and meds are monitored and coping classes are added and it’s barely been two years and now he’s back.

4 Likes

Never too late!!! XX

1 Like