Benefit Vs. Risk - Medication

The doctor said to me today that even though my prolactin is high, the benefit of the medication outweighs the risk. So as long as I don’t have physical symptoms from high prolactin, then I should continue taking Amisulpride.

I am not sure how I feel about someone else making a decision about the benefit vs. risk.

That said I don’t want the hassle of switching Antipsychotic again as this controls my symptoms well.

Is this a doctor decision or mine?

1 Like

My pdoc room really lowered me off an AP bc of that issue. High prolact can erode my bones. I thanked him for caring for my health. But I do t know your levels and pdoc knows best I suppose . Mine were really high. You can also add Abilify to it to low the levels, it works. Look it up

My levels are three times higher than the high range number.

I don’t know how bad that is or what the risks are. I should have asked.

4 Likes

That’s high. Ask him about adding Abilify once you research it: adding Abilify to an AP lowers prolactin levels. I’m feeling too messy to look it up but it’s real

I can’t take Abilify. I went psychotic on it and I had extreme anxiety and agitation and restlessness and no sleep when I took it.

Was a horrible experience.

Shoot that stinks :frowning: research high prolactin and be honest with your pdoc if you decide not to take it. The med worked for me but pdoc switched me bc of it. But he may know what he’s doing. Sorry this has happened

Even adding 2mg of abilify can help.

Yup I agree this is what my pdoc said just adding a little. But for me my level was 245! so it didn’t being it down a lit but for some it does. My pdoc told me

1 Like

I don’t know why he didn’t suggest this.

My main concern is that he doesn’t want to do anything about it unless I get physical symptoms from prolactin.

I assume this means when I start producing milk or my bones fall apart way down the line which seems to be too late.

3 Likes

Tell him you want to try something else if that’s what you decide but I don’t know what he will say. I just know that the high prolactin isn’t good but maybe a Google search will say it’s not that bad. I doubt myself these days

No your fine I appreciate your input.

Google says it’s not good and my levels against what it says on Wikipedia is higher than the 2nd trimester of pregnancy in women

If you decide to go on another ap, have you considered which one?

1 Like

Wow. 151515 I hope you have a pdoc that will respect your choice. I do everything my pdoc says so if I said this to him he would understand. I have a very very good pdoc. How is yours?

1 Like

I am not sure there is a favourable antipsychotic left in the UK that will fit my preference for no weight gain.

I have been on Risperidone, Olanzapine, Abilify, Latuda, Haloperidol and Amisulpride.

A part from this prolactin issue, the Amisulpride has made me feel the most ‘normal’ and deals with my symptoms well.

Clozapine has been mentioned before, but I said no as the side effects looked similar to me to Olanzapine and I put on 35 kilos on that drug. I also need to be awake for work at 6am

I had a good doctor but he retired.

I saw a Locum today.

I get a permanent doctor in March

1 Like

Good time to bring it up

Tried Quietiapine? Its a wonder drug for me. My prolactin levels are above normal as well, but as said - even if i get a pair of man boobs, i personally would still take it.

My desire for a clear head is paramount over everything else. Hell - i would just wear a jumper lol.

I take a modicum of medication for the sake of others, at great risk to my self. Doesn’t look like they are going to change their perspective on what I should do in relation to them.