Back on lithium

I have been through a rough time. Depressed (suicidal). Two days in hospital (psych). Im put back on lithium, the drug that gave me hypothyroidism. Waiting for it to reach full levels.

Last time I was on it, it did work some for my depression, so I hope it will work again, but i have a bad feeling about taking a drug that once blew my thyroid gland.

The good thing about it - it cant destroy what all ready has been destroyed.

7 Likes

yea lithium gave my hypothyroidism too… i’m not on it anymore though but still have to take l-thyroxine for it.

1 Like

Good luck bluebutterfly.
I hope by you being back on the medication, your depression is resolved.

1 Like

I don’t understand, is this the only drug that works for your depression?

I’m so sorry that you went through this. Depression is something I struggle with. I thought I’d had it beat, but I became depressed relatively soon after I quit the medicine. I’d had hopes I could reduce the amount of medicines I’m taking, but unfortunately now I’m back on it, and at an increased dose and it doesn’t seem as effective.

Wishing you find the path that soothes your woes.

1 Like

Thanks @Ares and @Ryanana

Yes, i have tried almost every ad with little success… Mao-inhibitor worked perfectly for two years, then it slowly stopped working, and I was left with nothing but the side effects.

I think and hope lithium may do the job, and there is one positive “side effect” from lithium - it’s supposed to be neuroprotective (it decrease the deterioration of the brain)

And Ryanana - may you meds begin to work, and if it works, don’t stop with it. I have done that too many times and regret it.

Best wishes

i hope it works for you =)

1 Like

thanks @lekkerhondje

2 Likes

Strange - but 7 UP was originally produced with lithium (like coca cola was infused with cocaine).

7 Up[edit]

As with cocaine in Coca-Cola, lithium was widely marketed as one of a number of patent medicine products popular in the late-19th and early-20th centuries, and was the medicinal ingredient of a refreshment beverage. Charles Leiper Grigg, who launched his St. Louis-based company The Howdy Corporation, invented a formula for a lemon-lime soft drink in 1920. The product, originally named “Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda”, was launched two weeks before the Wall Street Crash of 1929.[89] It contained the mood stabilizer lithium citrate,

1 Like

oh never heard that before =O

1 Like

Yes strange, because it’s toxic in large amounts. It is also very “hot” among those who use natural supplements, because it’s a natural element. You can buy it in health shops in small amounts like sarcoside etc.

2 Likes

There is got to be at least one bottle left somewhere on ebay. :innocent:

1 Like

I eat lithium supplement. It has done wonders for me. Less anxious, less depressed and I’m more calm.

1 Like

Good to hear, i also heard it can prevent dementia.

I cant wait to reach the maximum level. Im on half of the therapeutically level, and there has been a slight improvement.

Ha, but in that case it’s very expensive.

I have got a vintage Laudanum bottle from the 20 ties with laudanum left in the bottle. Its very tempting to take a drop, but the bottle is worth 600 dollars on ebay so i have to resist.

1 Like