Are there any topics you like to study?

i have so much free time on my hands right now, so i plan on expanding my library. there are a few topics i would like to get into. over these next couple years i plan on reading about different religions. after that i plan on reading about american history, and then i’ll also get into some fun topics like aliens and ufo’s haha.

5 Likes

I’m boring right now. I’m reading a book on Schizophrenia and that’s the extent of my studying. I’ll probably read another one after this one. I’m obsessed with knowing what I’m dealing with.

1 Like

i only own 1 schizophrenia book, “surviving schizophrenia” i read about 3/4ths of it last august on vacation but never finished it.

Yeah, thats what I have too. 6th edition. I’m almost finished with it.

3 Likes

Religious, history, ancient aliens, stuff on history channel.

2 Likes

Is it worth the read?

1 Like

Be sure to let people know if you find good books. I have only found things which seem a bit questionable and are always trying to support some view or another when I only want good information.

2 Likes

i found it to be an interesting read, i skipped around chapters, choosing what interested me. i don’t have a ton of recall about it, but it was good in the beginning when i wanted to learn more about schizophrenia. mostly i remember, all the pre diagnosis tests he recommended.

1 Like

Sounds like something that I should read then. Thanks for that.

1 Like

C, C++, Java, computer hardware and stuff like that. I struggled on floater points and stuff and memory allocation for computers. I think that’s the hardest part and jist of it. Algorithms are down the road as is machine learning and AI. Stuff that can be mastered with motivation, a little intellect, and time.

3 Likes

I’m starting to self-teach bookkeeping and accounting (will probably enroll at local community college for spring session though (I don’t know how that will work since I just finished a Bachelors at the age of 49 and financial aid can be a minefield (I also wonder what sort of oddball nests parenthesis ))).

I am looking at reading the Terry Pratchett Discworld novels. I’ve read about five so far.

Then I just purchased a book on my Kindle called “Bob’s Saucer Repair”, seems like comedy about UFOs.

Does anyone else see the local library as a bit of a sanctuary or is that just me?

1 Like

I love studying Egyptian history.

2 Likes

I would like to learn Mandarin. I haven’t even looked at where to start though, it’s just been sitting in the back of my head.

I would no doubt butcher it with my Aussie accent though. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There is a very good series on World War I by Andy Nidel called “The Great War”. It is in like 200 or more. I watched part of it and then got distracted due to my schizophrenic mind. You might try that.

1 Like

I like it when I make an effort with the mathematics I need for economics. But unfortunately I haven’t had a look at the textbook for nearly two months at this point.

I also tried to start learning Arabic; I think it’s a good business language but I’ve made no progress.

I’d like to get into the habit of studying daily. As I slowly take myself off cigarettes I want to make studying the habit that replaces it.

My first step was to control anxiety. So I take propranolol and it seems to deal with the physical affects. But I am a bit restless. And I don’t enjoy cigarettes. This is bad because I find it easier to study or motivate to study when i have a good mood; which is what the cigs would’ve usually helped with.

But oh well. Slow steps; I should try it today actually. When I get some sleep hopefully! Lol.

2 Likes

I think the side effect of my medications has made me want do nothing.

I want to do some creative job, but I cannot because of the illness.

2 Likes

I wish i could study more, im into phenomenology (philosophy of the mind).
But i cant concentrate to read at the moment.

I also “study” or rather play spanish on Duolingo com, a good waste of time. I went from zero qualifications to a rude everyday conversation pretty fast.

2 Likes

Criminology
The psychological makeup of various vloggers and reality show stars
Video game theories
Nutrition and fitness
Meditation

1 Like

I think that I have around 70+ books (in several languages) on my kindle that I haven’t started reading it yet. But i will get there soon.

Books with scientific approach in mind are my favorite, but I also don’t shy away from religious and philosophy topics. I strictly avoid books that are complete lunacy.

Going back to history topic. I was lucky to get my hands on unabridged version of “Gulag Archipelago” all 3 volumes, by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Abridged and soft version of Gulag Archipelago is now mandatory reading in Russian schools. Can’t wait to get started on those.

I have some profoundly important historical books in my library. But i won’t share the names here in case people find it triggering. So you can PM if you are interested in those recommendations.

1 Like

Philosophy.
Religion.
Nutrition. Though I’ve completed my nutrition studies now. I’m well equipped.

1 Like