Are cheese boards popular where you are - especially America?

I always buy a Christmas cheese board. They are popular in the UK. Cheese is popular here. I heard America has rubbish cheese.

Cheese board I brought consists - Brie, from France, Cheddar from Dorset, England. Red Leicester, England. Yorkshire Wensleydale, England. Shropshire Blue. French Goats Cheese,

I like to serve this with pickled onions, assortment of crackers. Grapes and pickle.

2 Likes

That sounds nice. We have edam and brie in. Iā€™ve got some vegan applewood and camenbert. Do you have Branston pickle and Pickallili (sp?) I hope you have a good Christmas.

1 Like

Branston pickle and Pickallili

yep I do buy them.

2 Likes

I also got some plain Pringles to go with my cheese board.

1 Like

Nice one. My daughter asked me to get pringles in. We basically have a Christmas dinner and then for about 3 days after we just have lighter, snack meals. Bagels are great for these, as well as nuts and coleslaw, pasta salads etc

There are lots of good North American cheeses, but you have to go to the specialty section of the store to find them as well as imported cheeses. You only find the cheap commercial grade stuff in the regular cheese aisle. Cheese boards arenā€™t as popular here.

2 Likes

I only became aware of it wen my sister in law whose French brought one with her one Christmas

2 Likes

I used to love cheese :cheese: but now I can take or leave it. If I could get hold of some ripe smelly cheese Iā€™d love it though.

4 Likes

I think there are also differences in taste depending on the country, depending also on the way the cheese is made.
I had eaten a camembert outside of France, it had no taste. Like a very industrial cheese.
Cheese is quite cultural.
For example, here I buy mozzarella in the supermarket, itā€™s tasteless. Itā€™s just refreshing in a salad, but thatā€™s it.
Iā€™m sure that in the region where it is produced in Italy it is very good (by the way I have a grocery store that sells artisanal and imported it is delicious (and toooo expensive.).

Some people like bland cheeses but I love it when it has a lot of smell and taste.

Itā€™s also a matter of taste education because I ate strong cheese at a very young age.

Here, I must confessā€¦ We like our food culture, especially the local cheesesā€¦
Itā€™s something I would have a hard time doing without (even though I donā€™t eat it that often.)

When I talk about cheeses, itā€™s because I would love to make you taste these so ā€œspecialā€ cheeses, that you can never find in supermarkets. :yum: :yum: :yum:

1 Like

Iā€™m a US citizen and this is the first time Iā€™ve heard the term ā€˜cheese board.ā€™ At first I thought you misspelled ā€œchess board.ā€

We have lots of assortments, mostly Xmas cookies which are shortbread with sprinkles. I usually buy platters half off on the day after Christmas and chow down on them, very delicious.

My cousin lived in France for a while and she said that the restaurants were all top notch.

She also said that some of the gas stations in the area served better food then some of the five star restaurants here in the States!

@DetunedGuitar

Edit: She lived in Lyon France

Hi @Wave
Cool ! :slight_smile:
Lyon is a pretty city.
Some restaurants in Paris are hoaxes for tourists.
It doesnā€™t give a great image of the city, but there are also excellent restaurants! You have to read the guidebooks.

Itā€™s true that there are lots of small restaurants in all the regions, itā€™s nice.
Often you can eat well there.
On the other hand, I think that it is rather expensive (compared to Germany for example.)
Life in Paris is expensive, I imagine like in London or New York or other big cities.
I live in the suburbs of Paris, itā€™s not bad, I have space for myself but I can go to Paris if I want to (and if I have the courage.)

I would love to visit New York and London too. I was in New York in 1996 and I have a very good memory of it but I was only there for a while.
Iā€™ve been to London as a child, but I donā€™t really remember it.

We should do international scz meetings! :smiley: :grinning: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cheese here sucks. :-1:

Cheese boards are pretty common at highbrow parties here in america, but not so common at casual hangouts. Ive met enough cheese enthusiasts here to assure you that itā€™s definitely a thing, and every grocery store in the US has at least the basics (dubliner cheddar, several bries, camembert). Itā€™s a specialty but a pretty popular specialty.

Coincidentally, my sister works as a cheese manager at a grocery store and is putting together a cheese board for our family new years eve.

The blocks of mozza most popular here in Canada are nasty. Even the full fat mozza is nasty. I prefer to make my own. The problem is that the Pasteurization process damages the proteins in much of the milk sold in stores. You either need to get your hands on stuff straight from the cow or use the powdered skim milk hack (you take a hit to the taste).

Ultra Pasteurized milk doesnā€™t form proper curds and the texture of the curds you get is all wrong. The curd is dry and crumbly after the whey is separted, not nice and elastic like you get from real milk.

2 Likes

I like Italian sheep cheese, Romano.

1 Like

Pecorino Romano

1 Like

You donā€™t like American cheese on a hamburger? The yellow plastic looking one?

Cheese boards are popular here in weddings and banquet parties, along with charcuterie boards.

I quite like cheese but have never bought a cheese board.