Anyone on here Native American?

I’m only part. A small part but proud of it

3 Likes

My sister had a test done. She was found to be all western/eastern european and only .6% middle eastern. I wonder where that came from.

That’s cool Loke. Do you have membership in a tribe?

I’m 12% middle eastern as well. The rest of me is european. A lot of Italians immigrated from the Middle East.

2 Likes

No it’s hard to prove you’re NA. It’s just a story that’s been passed down by my family. If I didn’t look so much like an Indian (see profile pic) I wouldn’t think so. My dad looks more NA than I

1 Like

I gotta do some kind of test myself to see where my dna comes from. I doubt it’d differ much from my sister, but it’s interesting to look into all that.

Where I grew up, there were quite a lot of french canadians with native roots.

2 Likes

I think I’m 1/1024 First Nations.

:grin:

1 Like

Ok Mr Smarty Pants.

1 Like

I’m Canadian. I don’t really worry about what race people are, I don’t understand the fixation Americans have with it. People are people are people, they just come in a wonderful variety is all.

5 Likes

I don’t really understand it myself… My sister said she wished she was part african? I was like… Okay. I mean it’s great to be a part of a bloodline and everything. I just don’t think it defines people. I certainly treat everyone well without regard to race.

2 Likes

Maybe it is an American thing. I think heritage is important.

3 Likes

I had the census taker last year telling me that I couldn’t answer with “Canadian” as my heritage. Was I Irish? Scottish? FNMI? The only answer I would give was “Canadian” and she was unhappy with that. Sounded like not my problem.

Edit: Listed my religion as “Pastafarian”. She didn’t like that either.

1 Like

I think it’s an American thing too. I read this article written by a man from Ireland who visits America for months at a time. He says it bothers him when Americans tell him they’re part Irish. He thinks they’re just American.

4 Likes

I should wear a minuteman costume for halloween next year.

I’m probably 1/10000000 First Nations :slight_smile:

You’re from the U.K. Right?

In the grand scheme of things people are just people,good or bad. However there is nothing wrong with wanting to know your ancestry ,unless you are going to use it to argue racial supremacy.

Autosomal dna testing could be argued to be a more educated person’s version of reading your horoscope in terms of the accuracy of ethnicity estimates. It’s still fun to do though.

The best measure of ethnicity though is most probably the strength of cousin matches you get.

2 Likes

My great Grandpa was a Lakota living on the Rosebud reservation. You can see a bit in my mom but not much on me. But hey I enjoy the Native American Flute whether I’m NA or not.

3 Likes

My mom did the ancestrydna. Came up with lots of relatives she didn’t know. That’s how she found out her real father. The story gets crazier but you all wouldn’t believe me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Both my parents did a DNA test through 23 and me.
I was not surprised by the results.

1 Like

My daughter got me one for Xmas last year. Said I was 100% European but I don’t believe it. I’m probably I’d say 98% white maybe but I know I’m part NA. I even had an old man call me a “half-breed Indian” once