Anyone keep their sZ a secret

Only my spouse and sister knows. I don’t have many relationships but I know people and don’t want them to be weird around me.

If you are out with your Sz, does it affect how people treat you?

2 Likes

I tell everyone usually

1 Like

@anon80490300 Really!? Has it caused you any problems with anyone?

1 Like

Not that I know of

1 Like

I only tell people that I trust. The thing is, I don’t have sz- I just have very severe depression.

@anon10648258 Are you not on meds for Sz? Or did you recover from Sz? I also have Major Depressive Disorder. It’s really bad.

1 Like

I have depression with psychotic features. I don’t meet the criteria for sza.

1 Like

As far as I know, only my family know. I would never tell anyone, not a chance, they’d think crazy things about you

I meet the criteria for SZA but my current psychiatrist reluctantly diagnosed me with SZA yesterday.
She is still confused as to my diagnosis.

I only tell certain family members.

İ tell everbody that i communicate first.because if they think that i m normal and feel that i m not normal it can be problem

There is a lot of discrimination and stigma surrounding a SZ/SZA diagnosis.
I find that many doctors and health professionals discriminate the most.

It’s best not to disclose your SZ diagnosis unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Frankly it’s no one’s business.

3 Likes

I keep it on a need-to-know basis.
I don’t keep it a secret that I have mental struggles, I just don’t share what exactly they are unless it’s relevant

3 Likes

The only people I am around are coworkers (they are also my friends outside work) and my SO.

As of now my family (SO included) and friends/coworkers know. Plus two other people at work know, so I can have workplace accommodations.

I don’t tell new people.

1 Like

I usually do not let anyone know I have Sz. Especially at work. Somehow people treat you different.

2 Likes

I’m pretty open with it. I don’t just announce it to everyone, but it’s such a big part of who I am, it comes up.

People who can’t handle it don’t last long.

2 Likes

I have always disclosed at work. My current employer knows. It’s not a problem, I’m still treated with professional respect and I recently received a promotion despite being a year short of the required experience (they wanted five years, I had four, but I can do my job at an advanced level).

I don’t disclose willy-nilly in my community, but I do let what I call the “thought leaders” – those who are in a position to make positive changes – know of my condition.

2 Likes

Umm… lots of people know I’m SZ, I live in a small town (so I’m assuming words gotten around) and I told my husband before I met him that I had sz, he was fine with it and these two recent friends I made- I told them and they were fine with it.

1 Like

I keep it a secret.

1 Like

i think everybody in my life knows about it… they seen me sick so they know something was up… but i don’t tell people that are not close to me…

1 Like

I have been pretty open about it. The only people I didn’t tell were my employers.

3 Likes