Anyone Ever lost Weight because of an antipsychotic

My old doc said that some people lose weight on Abilify, some people gain weight on Abilify.

Is this true? The medication causes weight loss for some people?

I lost like 60 pounds on Abilify but I also made an effort to lose weight by going on a strict low carb diet at the time.
But I was able to lose all that weight even while on Depakote.

I am hoping to lose whatever excess I have on Haldol. It is not much, but I would like to be completely fit.

That is interesting. You lost it on Depakote. People gain a ton on it.

Do you think Abilify ‘caused’ you to lose weight by decreasing apetite?

1 Like

Abilify makes me gain weight. I’ve heard it’s the least likely of the antipsychotics to cause weight gain though.

I also pace, a lot, on abilify. So that might help some people with weight if they usually have negative symptoms?

Yeah, he said that some people gain weight on it and some people lose on it.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know how or why I lost all that weight on Abilify except to say that the reason could be because it’s a partial dopamine agonist.

1 Like

Okay. But, if you lost weight on Depakote, too, I think it may be just effort on your part.

I just read research that Abilify can cause significant weight loss as an add-on in people who have gained weight on other antipsychotics.

While on Haldol, exercising and eating 1200 calories per day, I lost 100 pounds in 13 months

1 Like

Yes, I have started Haldol. This is why I was wondering, it might cause weight loss.

Incidentally, I remember gaining a ton of weight on Risperidone. Then a doc put me on 95 mgs of Haldol and upped the Risperidone from 4 mgs to 8 mgs. I thought I might get a heart attack from weight gain, but without trying I lost 20 pounds in 20 days. I still don’t understand why that happened.

1 Like

It didn’t cause my weight loss, but it did allow me to lose weight while making lifestyle changes

2 Likes

Haldol is usually weight neutral.

1 Like

I think so. But, I was wondering, whether it can induce weight loss in some people.

I don’t think that there is an antipsychotic out there that actually promotes weight loss but there are weight neutral AP’s.

You are going to have to make an effort if you are going to lose some weight.

1 Like

Got it. Agreed. I walk an hour daily. I couldn’t lose further weight on Abilify.Ziprasidone combination after awhile. I want to be totally fit so I can go the gym and build myself up. I hope Haldol works out…

1 Like

Haldol is a good med.
Good luck @angledangle

1 Like

Thank You. I need more than luck. The important thing is that it works and I don’t end up on Clozapine. Thanks for the kind words.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.