Anyone deal with grief about

Anyone struggle a lot with grief over loss due to / caused by your illness? Loss of dreams, job, relationships, abilities, health, time, self, time with family, participation in life, etc etc etc
Sorry to be a downer. Just having a hard time tonight.
I’ve been told to accept and reinvent myself. Good advice but easier said than done, and doesn’t get rid of the grief for me.

4 Likes

I got myself angry watching a TV program about mental health last night.

The nurses all say about getting people back into the community to get them integrated with society.

I have been trying to fit back into society since 2004 and it has not worked at all.

This idea of recovery is fine if you’re talking about being lucky enough for meds to work for you, but I do not see this re-integration into the community.

2 Likes

I had grief/loss in spades for a couple of years recently. It put me in a depression. I got out of the depression with the help of a psychologist, but still had to deal with the loss. It was time that eventually helped, my grief slowly turned into a resolve (and occasional anger). I still have bouts of grief, but they are less common and don’t last as long.

Maybe look up ways to deal with loss and grief online? That might help speed up the process.

1 Like

Encouraging to hear that it got better for you in time. I just figured I’d get over some of what I’d lost by now.
I’ve researched radical acceptance which helps. But grief often creeps back in,
@Pat6398

1 Like

@Joker
Yeah I dont know what reintegration into the community would look like. I do some normie things with my husband and other normies, but I still can’t be ‘normal’. That’s where I end up feeling grief. Some people could think I’ve reintegrated because I socialize at times alongside hubby but I still can’t work, volunteer, or even regular self care, nutrition…

It just really upset me as it’s not something I have experienced at all, and the community team where I live are hopeless in this area.

I tried to explain this before to my case worker about not having any friends, and he says a lot of people don’t and you’ll get over it.

Not helpful

2 Likes

I’m with you on this for sure. I’ve been mourning the loss of my health and grappling with the knowledge that I’m gonna be like this for the rest of my life. I have to accept that I’m gonna be on a low disability income and living with family for quite some time. I’m hoping I continue to recover so I can get a job, but this might be as good as it gets for me.

I’m keeping myself in good spirits by trying not to take things too seriously. At least I’m not delusional anymore. I’d have ended up in a group home or on the street by now if the delusions hadn’t gone away when they did.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right. That’s totally not helpful.

Yeah I fear my condition is as good as it gets. And that I have to work with where I am… trying to shower all day instead of being my previous fun version of being a mom. I really want to get over it

1 Like

Whhaaat? I exclaimed out loud when I read your post. Get over not having friends?? That’s really needed. Friends have been essential in helping me feel better. Support groups too. I hope this forum helps . . . maybe there’s other ways to get connected?

1 Like

Yes I struggle with grief over the loss of friendships and a partner. I’ve been slowly getting my career back, so that’s good but it will never be the same either. I felt sad last night during/after a support group and am not sure why. Maybe it was, “this is my life now?” I try to keep myself encouraged with Karl Menninger’s idea that patients can become “weller than well” in the recovery process. I am noticing my mind is able to think more abstractly, plan ahead more, and mental prep myself. All good things.

I hope you continue to feel better.

3 Likes

I think being a part of the community is really really hard for us especially considering the stuff we have went through. I just feel like I can only pretend at best.

I am still functional but I feel broken, I have used radical acceptance and gotten rid of alot of anxiety but I guess I am grieving who I used to be.

1 Like

I’m a bit philosophical about it. But I’ve had a peculiar life.

I’ve realised that for a lot of things I was damned if I did those things but also damned if I didn’t do those things. Like I said, a peculiar life.

Remember the grass is always greener on the other side.

3 Likes

Yeah I especially grieve who I used to be. I was pretty cool.

1 Like

Yeah feels like that grass is hella green. But your statement is true. Just having a rough time since last night remembering my old functioning. I think in some ways I so have some opportunities despite my current condition. Well I’m off to the grocery store for a small shop and then to strive for the treadmill and a shower. I’ll try hard, gotta start somewhere.

2 Likes

I don’t grieve. There is always good things going on in my life

2 Likes

That’s awesome.

1 Like

When you at peace good things starts to happen.

2 Likes

Seems like a reasonable statement. I’ll try to remember that today.

1 Like

Yes good luck. Wish you all the best. Everyone has same opportunities to become happier

2 Likes