Anyone belong to a MI Clubhouse?

My Case manager and therapist both want me to belong to a MI Clubhouse.
You know a place for us Crazies to hang out and socialize a little bit. :wink:
There are two places like this pretty close to my home.
I feel uncomfortable going but my Case Manager said that she’ll go with me in the beginning to check it out.

Any one else go to a Clubhouse or Social group?
I figure it beats staying at home rotting on my couch.

1 Like

I used to have a frequent flyer club card to the local Psych U, but it got cancelled due to lack of med insurance.

1 Like

that is very interesting!

I have not been to a clubhouse :smiley: tell us how it goes!

1 Like

I used to belong to a clubhouse. At the one I attended, we had a work order day but we also had social events. They also took us to the grocery store, and the drug store and places like that. I liked going.

1 Like

I went through orientation for one, but then got a bad vibe and never went back.

2 Likes

I used to go to one, but then I developed a crushing headache that won’t go away, that gets worse when too many people are talking at once. Add to that the tendency to hallucinate and it’s basically torture now.

If I felt more normal I’d go again, it was pretty chill.

1 Like

I think @Resilient1 might have gone to one…

1 Like

yeah i do, its cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @everhopeful.
Hey @Resilient1 What are some of the activities that you do there?

today i typed a little, went to a meeting, helped in the cafe and on the till, took some orders, but i was a bit shattered, i also helped take bins out.

i have my little job tomorrow as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad for you @Resilient1.
That all sounds really cool!

1 Like

it is, they have helped me so much this week when i was feeling really bad as well.

i signed up for a halloween murder mystery as well lol

2 Likes

We played Uno once a week, and had pizza/ movie night once a week, we had a barbecue picnic in the park, we (they - I didn’t go) went to a baseball game. Stuff like that. Every month we had a big outing. Twice a week we had stuff at the clubhouse after the work order day.

3 Likes

Sounds pretty cool @ZmaGal!

It was. And they take suggestions for things to do too. The regulations for a clubhouse say that each member gets to participate fully so if your clubhouse follows those rules, they’ll at least listen to and consider your suggestions

2 Likes

How do you find out about local clubhouses? I interested in joining one! I am from Michigan. Sounds like you have a great case manager. My case manager is horrible, haven’t had contact with her in months.

2 Likes

I got my info from my Case Manager.
You can search online or get in touch with your Case Manager.
Or get in touch with your local Mental Health Association or another charity group.

1 Like

Yes I have been to one. It’s kinda far like 45 minutes from my house. I didn’t like it. The people sit around and smoke all day and are mostly low functioning folks.

2 Likes

Yeah my concern is that I’ll meet only low functioning folks.
Smoking is not my thing also.

I’ll first just check it out to see if I like it.

1 Like

We use to have a drop in center like that. Other then that was a member in a support group. All pretty much the blind leading the blind though.

2 Likes