Anyone been restrained?

When being in the mental hospital has anyone been restrained or held down and injected? It has not happened to me. I haven’t been to the hospital much.

Also have you found it boring being in a mental hospital? I find it to be a hellishly boring place and I don’t want to talk to any of the other patients.

1 Like

I have never been restrained, but I found it really boring in the hospital.

There were art supplies, and I had my laptop with me, but I spent most of my time there chainsmoking with the other patients.

1 Like

Yes, twice. Once when i first got sick. The other the last time I was in the hospital.

1 Like

same here ive been restrained 2 or 3 times. got put in a straight jacket once that was the worst, I cant’ remember why, I think I punched a nurse trying to force inject me with medicine,

my behavior seemed fine but they thought I was erratic

2 Likes

A few times. Only in the ER initially before they transfer me. Never in the actually psych ward.

1 Like

I was restrained by people and injected because I didn’t want to be injected. If they had told me I was going to be restrained then I would have allowed them to inject me. But I guess being restrained has to be a “surprise”.

3 Likes

I was restrained in elementary school at school, does that count?

1 Like

I guess the policy of the ambulances in my area is that they restrain you off the bat if it’s a mental health issue. The first few times it happened in this setting it was full restraints. I couldn’t move anything but my head. The last time, after asking me lots of questions (I think they were assessing my mental state) it was just my feet.

One time in my early teens I stayed in an out of state behavioral ward. I was restrained as soon as I was admitted. I didn’t attack anyone or threaten to. They left me in full restraints for hours. That was about as bad as the more blatant physical abuse which included being choked out, with the justification for the choking being that I punched a metal locker (once, again, I never attacked anyone or threatened to)

Behavioral wards are unbearably boring. I’ve rarely come out of behavioral wards better than I went in.
Confinement and unbearable boredom surprisingly aren’t so conducive to recovery for me. But my schizoaffective is very treatment resistant.

2 Likes

The first time I was in the hospital I had an exam so I tried to leave. I was tackled and given an injection of ativan, I woke up strapped to a bed with my backpack on. Once they took the straps off I tried to leave again and they tackled me once more, woke up again the same way

1 Like

yeah I tried to sneak out and had that happen. the psychiatrist unlocked the door and I slipped out right behind her. one of the nurses saw me and a bunch of dudes grab me and threw me on the bed. whatever those shots are they always put me right to sleep. this is a repeat question for the day

1 Like

I was restrained by police with handcuffs whilst manic. And then restrained to the ambulance pulley straight away after that, for trying to escape out the back. Unfortunately when I jumped out, I sailed right into my dad’s arms and was hoicked straight back in :weary: Me and my family have laughed about this since as apparently I was like a bullet leaping out the ambulance :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve been restrained lots of times in the past. The last time was in September for punching the window repeatedly in the psych ward…then swinging at one of the security guards who showed up.

Here, they give what’s called a B-52 injection when you’re agitated. B for Benadryl, and 5 for 5mg Haldol and the 2 is 2mg Ativan. It knocks me out in about 20 minutes!

3 Likes

Yes, a few times when I was very psychotic in the hospital but that was many years ago. It felt awful being pushed down and injected because I was so unwell I didn’t understand what was going on.

1 Like

Been chained to a table by thick leather cuffs on all four limbs for hours.

3 Likes

Not yet. Thank the sky.

3 Likes

5 points 6 points 4 points… I’ve had about all of em… not very pleasant…

1 Like

What do you mean by “points”?

points is your wrist, ankles, neck, waist area for leather straps to be place upon.

2 Likes

I have been hospitalized too numerous times to count. Literally. I have no idea how many times I have been hospitalized. There were years where I was in and out every two weeks. And yes, I have been 5 point restrained numerous times. Too numerous to count. This should be made illegal.

2 Likes

Oh OK. 15151515