Anybody not on AP's?

Over the last 17 years whenever I have gone off my meds or lowered them too much I have become psychotic. Meds are for life for me, but I don’t mind, I found a med I like, that works, and has no side effects.

2 Likes

me im not on meds, i have them and for the last few month have been taking them but ive stopped now. Idk it just drains my energy, and ill probably be back on something soon…
actually im gonna take them now :grin: just had a change of heart after a week of not taking them so thanks for the post lol. i really do want to find an alternative medicine combo like natural herbs or something because i dont like the idea of being tied down to a pharmacy

1 Like

What med are you on?

60mg Lurasidone (Latuda)

1 Like

Ohhh. OK. I tried Latuda and it gave me complete insomnia. I didn’t sleep for 5 nights.

1 Like

Yeah, everyone reacts differently to different meds. I’ve heard people on this website say they like haldol but I had an awful experience with it. Just gotta keep trying different meds until you find something that works, with minimal/tolerable/treatable side effects, or if you are lucky, no side effects at all.

1 Like

I’m married and share a bed with my wife.

What’s sleep?

I feel best on no meds, but I am afraid of the horrible, mean hospital if I don’t take them. I stopped my risperidone for about a month and my insomnia got better. Then I went back on it and my sleep is suffering again. I feel like I have no choice but to stop again so I can sleep. I feel trapped.

3 Likes

Around 5 months, I think.

2 Likes

OK, the longest I have been off without a trip to the hospital is almost a year.

Yeah, insomnia is a b*tch! I developed horrible insomnia when I quit Olanzapine almost 4 months ago, and even before that when I was tapering down. I’ve read thousands of stories online about people with the same problem, insomnia after quitting olanzapine. I am currently taking 1.5mg of clonazepam for sleep every night.

1 Like

I think there’s a higher chance of relapse if you have multiple episodes that’s why the recommendation for multiple relapses if you stay on antipsychotic for 5 or more years instead of 1

I’m off meds since dec 2020 n im doing alrite working keeping busy xx

2 Likes

I can’t take a benzo to help. The reason I have insomnia is because I am tapering off Xanax. It quit working for me and I built up tolerance so I have to get off of it. I wish it still worked. I’b be sleeping right now instead of posting this.

2 Likes

What a bummer! I have had numerous episodes but risperidone contributes to my insomnia. WHY do I have to be crazy? WHY can’t I be ‘normal’?

Not quite a year yet! I made it almost a year the last time I quit meds but, truthfully, I was delusional the whole time I was off. Just not psychotic.

@non-average ask for amitryptiline thats an old school antidepressant that helps u sleep xx

1 Like

I take trazodone for sleep and I like the antidepressant action of it so I keep taking it. I’m going to stop my risperidone and see if that doesn’t help my insomnia.

are you still taking antipsychotics?

Trazodone was one of the first meds I tried for insomnia, 25mg-125mg. Unfortunately It didn’t work for me for sleep, but at 125mg it made my lips and eyelids twitch.