Anybody know how to code?

I just spent the last few hours on codeacademy.com and learnt quite a lot. As I’ve got the time, i thought I’d learn something useful. The academy is excellent and the exercises aren’t so complex yet.

My ultimate aim is to build a program that incorporates teaching Spanish using lots of puzzles and games to fix learning, which could aid in my learning of the language and create something I have always wanted and needed.

A long way to go, I know, but the longest journey starts with the smallest step.

Any other coders in this forum? What is the best language to concentrate on if I ultimately wanted to create simple puzzles and games within a game for language learning?

3 Likes

From what I remember, there are several forum members who code.

I moved this thread to the School and Work category.

3 Likes

Hello @labratmat,

I code too! Codeacademy is a great site! I used it a lot when i was first learning how to do web programming. If you want to build a web application, I would say the big three to work on would be Javascript, HTML, and CSS. Once you get good at those you can do awesome stuff! I would also recommend SoloLearn and Code School as well, they helped me get the skills I needed to get my first programming job. Best of luck! Happy coding!

4 Likes

I code as well.

1 Like

Just basic stuff here. I’m learning basic JavaScript. I like python but need to learn c++ someday for school. I want to be a web developer.

1 Like

I taught myself how to HTML code, it’s pretty easy

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think codecademy or soloearn are that great. They just teach the basics. But if you do beyond the minimum or pay for the projects, I can see the benefit. It just helps you progress or start somewhere. You need more experience and a portfolio to get a job in my opinion. But I really never tried getting a job because I’m not ready. I have to study hundreds or more hours.

1 Like

I did it for a short while in college and it was pretty fun. Right now I’m going to day treatment to practice my concentration but one day I’d like to try out a coding bootcamp and hopefully let that be the last time I do any schooling.

1 Like

What was your major in college?

I have a friend who is a programmer.

1 Like

I studied English but I intended to go to medical school. I got in to medical school but had to drop out due to psychosis.

1 Like

I got my bachelors degree in programming. For what you want to do creating a website is your best bet. Focus on WordPress and CSS HTML and JavaScript. Good luck :four_leaf_clover: if you have any questions ask away :sunny:

2 Likes

I am a coder. I coded in C, Java. I know HTML programming. Now I want to learn CSS and Java Script and become a complete web developer using MEAN stack. Any body wants to advice me, You are welcome.

2 Likes

Coding is very time consuming. I personally develop powerful websites using professionally designed themes. They save me lots of time and nerves. I use ready made wordpress photo themes and design cool websites easily. Be creative!

2 Likes

I’ve been obsessed for almost 20 years now! My symptoms became severe recently but code is about the only thing I can concentrate on. I’ve been taking daily screenshots of progress on my app for a little over a month now and honestly it’s kept me motivated.

I would add on to what everyone suggested about HTML/CSS/JavaScript as it’s now gotten to the point that you can basically run it anywhere (browsers, phones, consoles). CodeCademy is really great, but I think it’s better suited if you’re trying to learn specific things or have very specific goals.

One I might suggest more is FreeCodeCamp as it’s more designed to take you from knowing absolutely nothing all the way through creating a real project (you can even create a real project for a nonprofit at the end, which you can use on your resume if you wanted to pursue it that far). The community support is HUGE, so even if you don’t participate in the community yourself you can absorb a good amount. They’ve also got a huge YouTube channel and blog which members contribute to.

Also, kudos on your goals. Being goal oriented like that will help you stay motivated and learn faster.

4 Likes

I wrote my first program recently, I called it,“Hacker Bait.” It was a folder full of a few dozen nasty ram eaters that wreck a hacker’s PC when they pull it. I added a barricade to prevent them from shutting it down and labeled everything with financial information terms.
It also laughs at them while eating ram. Just store it on a flash drive when you’re not being hacked.

2 Likes

Coding is very time consuming. I personally develop powerful websites using professionally designed themes. They save me lots of time and nerves. I use ready made wordpress photo themes and design cool websites easily. Be creative!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.