Any teenagers with schizophrenia?

Hi, I’ve only recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia and being a teenager I feel very alone and it’s very difficult to deal with having no one who is going through something similar, is there anyone who is young and has been diagnosed? x

3 Likes

I’m sorry man. It is rough. I got sick at 21 or 22. I hope you find somebody. I feel for you.

@John_Raven is a teenager

3 Likes

@Sardonic is 19

2 Likes

Paging @John_Raven!

3 Likes

Yeah it is rough I’ve just turned 16 and got officially diagnosed it’s very lonely as I have lost all of my friends and cant go to school anymore

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve had symptoms since I was 14 (when I started high school). They weren’t sure what was wrong with me until I started having more intense hallucinations and delusions at age 18 during my senior year of high school. It’s okay, not the end of the world. Build yourself a good support system, comprised of teachers, principals, counsellors, family menbers, and friends. This will make life a hell of a lot easier.

How old are you, by the way?

2 Likes

I first got sick at 14, but I’m 30 now. Trust me when I say it gets easier. 16 years later, I’m married, I work, I own a house, and I’m in the process of becoming a foster parent! All your goals are still possible. It just might take longer to get there.

8 Likes

I heard things get better after the first 10 years. I’m on year 8. I’m 29. I heard things get really good about 40-50 years old.

1 Like

My first year in high school was cut short. I had a medical leave of absence and stayed home all year. I graduated in 5 years.

2 Likes

I’m 16 I started getting symptoms when I was really young but I had a my first episode when I was 14

2 Likes

Sometimes it just feels impossible I’ve not went anywhere apart from to see the psychiatrist in months

It seems like such a long time I feel hopeless with just getting really ill just before my exams

1 Like

How are you adjusting to the meds? Maybe try latuda or vralyar or abilify?

1 Like

I’m on 250mg a day and I’m not feeling anything at all I’ve not had any of the side affects either

1 Like

What meds are you on?

1 Like

I’m on quetiapine

Oh, same :upside_down_face: I take 500mg, not a high dose, but it’s all I need as far as antipsychotics go.

1 Like

I feel like my full world has come crashing down in the blink of an eye I have very minimal control over my body I just need to sit there and and let the voices control everything I do or there will be consequences, what’s everyone’s experience with voices if you dont mind talking about it I know how hard it is I dont talk to anyone about it until I found this forum and just feel like I really need to talk to someone

1 Like

How long was it until you started feeling even the slightest effect from them