Any teenagers with schizophrenia?

I don’t hear voices, but most do. I have mainly negative symptoms, cognitive decline, depression, anxiety, paranoia, and delusions. I also had dissociation, financial problems, weight gain, and unemployment.

I also don’t go to school :cry:

2 Likes

I have negative symptoms too, I have pretty much all the symptoms

2 Likes

That’s tough man, you will probably make friends on here and maybe it will help you make friends in real life. I didn’t get diagnosed until I was 19. I couldn’t imagine how tough it must be at 16. I wish you good luck.

3 Likes

I had my first major episode when I was 16 so yeah I know the struggle. It gets a lot better. It can be hard when high school is like this suffocating popularity contest where the off kids ie those with mental illness usually end up being shunned because symptoms make us act weird…but it gets way better in college and beyond when that dissipates and you can just interact with your friends that dont mind your weirdness. I think it was also really hard being a teen with psychosis because I would be going through so much messed up out there crap and then I’d come to school and have to listen to dumb gossip. It helps if you have therapy and a place where you can talk about what you’re going through, helps a lot.

I’m stable today and have a good life I’m in nursing school and have a boyfriend and friends and am doing well. Hang in there.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure because it was given to me in the hospital along with haldol and ativan. All I know is that I started feeling better around day 7 or 8. In the hospital, I was on 300mg of seroquel and 10mg of haldol. It felt amazing. When I went to my home pdoc, he changed the haldol to a prn and increased my daily seroquel to 500mg and I felt the same.

1 Like

Thank you I hope I do make friends I lost all my friends because of the stigma everyone thinks I’m dangerous which I’m very far from it

1 Like

I’m scared that I could get hospitalized I dont think I would be able to cope away from my mum and my boyfriend

I got sick at 17 years old went unmedicated until I was 21 thank God my dad took me to the psych ward. I was making a CD for my funeral and ready to get it over with

2 Likes

I think about suicide constantly when the voices are at there worst it’s horrible

I’ve completed stopped going to school because its became very disabling everyone at school are horrible and like to say nasty thing about it

You should try vraylar it will get rid of those suicidal thoughts very quickly.

3 Likes

Are you currently on any medications for your schizophrenia?

1 Like

Yes I’m on 250mg of quetiapine

2 Likes

I feel for you, it’s always toughest in the beginning of the disease. People get better though. When I was 20 I spent 8 months locked up in a large psychiatric hospital. I was not the most worldly person at that age and the other 80 patients could get pretty frightening. The worst problem for 8 months was boredom though, lol.
I can’t guarantee you will be as lucky as me but I’ve been working almost steadily since 1983. Now I have a nice car and a nice apartment. But this is what is possible and many other people on here get something out of life eventually too. It is just so hard in the beginning.

3 Likes

That’s how I felt, then my doctor upped the dose of vraylar and in a couple of days no more suicidal thoughts.

Don’t let them beat you down.
You are strong, I can tell.

3 Likes

It is very difficult to cope with I dont really have anyone all I have is my mum and boyfriend who are great but no one else really understands I knew there was a stigma around mental illness but until I got sick I never realised how horrible people can be

1 Like

Vraylar is the only med for me. Didn’t make me feel worse or like ■■■■ 24/7. Took 6 years to get on it.

2 Likes

Everyone always tells me I’m strong for everything that I have went through but now I feel week I’m just so tired I cant sleep never mind having so many voices being horrible to you all day every day

1 Like

It was a great med for me, but I gained a lot of weight.
Rexulti has turned out to be even better, at least for me because of its antidepressant effect.

2 Likes

Seroquel doesn’t knock you out?

1 Like