Any Linux users out there?

Continuing the discussion from New Adventure:

Just wanted to see if there are any Linux or other *nix users out there? What distro do you use? Can you write code, and how long have you been using it?

2 Likes

I have BSD and Gentoo at the house in addition to my OS X laptop and android tablet. I can write shell, python, perl and c languages.

2 Likes

@sasha, what does K use?

Lol, it was a process to get her using OS X. She likes windows xp only but she can do basic things on OS X

Are we going to see any more cool artwork soon? :wink:

1 Like

I am suicidal a lot of the time lately, it is hard to convince myself to do art but I am trying constantly to finish a few things. Really stressed over loosing my house and becoming homeless next month.

I ran Ubuntu on my HP laptop for a class I was taking. One thing that was hard was I had to get a screen shot of the main screen to include in the paper I was writing on my Windows 7 OS. I forget what I did but I figured it out. It was a cool OS. I didnā€™t experiment with it too much, but I would like to in the future. I remember it fascinated me that I could boot up from a flash drive. I get into coding more later in the year. Iā€™m really looking forward to it. :sunny:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Ubuntu (Linux) a little to toy with deploying a little Node.js and MongoDB code on Nodejitsu connected with MongoLab lately. Iā€™ve got Ubuntu set up to dual boot with Windows on one of my PCā€™s.

Iā€™ve been using Linux off and on for years. It just depended on what projects I was tinkering with at the time. Yes, I can write some code.

I was on vacation for a week but----what happened?

Long time Linux user here. I started with Mandrake then moved to Debian. Tried a couple of other distros but always came back to Debian.

Lately Iā€™ve strayed. I got into Bizspark and have been using Microsoft products for a while now. Windows hasnā€™t been terrible since 7 and my gaming addiction makes it hard to fully switch. Of course Civ5 is for Linux now so who knows.

Been using FreeBSD and then Linux since approx 1998. Started out with Red Hat, have also run SuSE, Debian, and Ubuntu. Remember running Calderaā€™s Open Linux back in the day. Currently in love with Linux Mint 17. Have Puppy Linux running on a system so old it puffs dust.

Code? Can hack a bit of PHP. Have also messed a bit with AJAX and JAVA, but am no virtuoso with any of these. No real interest in programming, to be honest. The closest I get to programming these days is working in Adobe After Effects.

10-96

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I started out with - Red Hat 7 in 2001. I run Linux Mint 16 on my desktop and Mint 17 on the wifeā€™s laptop. Iā€™d be interested in the specs of the system that ā€œpuffs dust.ā€ LOL.

Centos all the way.Ā 

Intel Pentium II, 350 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 80 GB IDE HD, 64 MB video card, 16-bit Soundblaster.

Built this sucker back around '97 or '98 when I was doing my MCSE and it just keeps lumbering along.

10-96

Nice. I think the most impressive thing is the size of the HDD considering the times.

Lol, back in 98ā€™ my PC only had a 2gb HDD, 32mb of ram, and was a Pentium MMX @200MHZ.

My first Linux distro was Fedora 1 back in 03ā€™ or 04ā€™. Been on and off Linux until 2010 when I switched to Linux fulltime. I moved between fedora and Ubuntu for a couple years and just finally moved to ArchLinux last year (or maybe the year before). Arch offers a LOT of customization; you start the install from a script and end up with a bash shell and package manager when itā€™s done. I now run it on all my computers (x86_64 and ARM).

Coding? I know the structure of C++ and Java, but donā€™t know many functions. Though my first ā€˜programming languageā€™ was MSBASICā€¦didnā€™t get too far into it since I was only like 11 years old when I started learning it lol. I had dreams of writing a whole new operating system with itā€¦yeaā€¦that didnā€™t happen nor is it even possible; can you imagine writing a kernel in BASIC!?

Now Iā€™m learning PHP, JS (Jquery to start with), SQL, and HTML(and CSS). Iā€™m using this web knowledge to build a site that letā€™s me run basic commands on my computers from my android devicesā€™ web browser. So far itā€™s awesome and I no longer need to ssh in to do updates, backup, or reboot. Iā€™m currently trying to figure out how to stream output from a shell command executed by PHP to a div in my page instead of sending the whole output at once when itā€™s done executing. Itā€™s a challenge, especially since I only started learning these languages a week or so ago. If it wasnā€™t for seeing the context of code through examples on the internet, Iā€™d never get anywhere.

I was trying to get my wife to use Linux, but she is addicted to windows because of her cherished (and vastly overpriced) adobe LightRoom.

bump

I just wiped WIndows off the machine and reinstalled Ubuntu. I feel better now.

1 Like

Anyone like Fedora? Iā€™m using Ubuntu now.

never tried Fedora. Iā€™m satisfied with Ubuntu w/Unity

I keep my Windows installs in VMs, preferable to dual-boot. Except for the one instance where the software wonā€™t work in a VM (but works fine on a straight install). Linux Mint is my preferred distro.