Linux thread

Do you have experience with Linux, what distros did you try and what was your favorite? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My favourite was debian. But I haven’t played with linux for about 10 years now.

I used to own this phone which was based on linux.

Fun times.

2 Likes

Linux Mint FTW! Currently running Mint v20.

3 Likes

Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce?

1 Like

I’m not very savvy so I never went beyond Ubuntu. I loved it though.

2 Likes

Ubuntu is very good nowadays if you have a SSD.

2 Likes

I like OpenSuse the most, cinnamon. Its interface is beautiful, better than Windows. I was playing Counter Strike and Tomb Raider on that linux using Steam.

2 Likes

I had Spotify for linux too.

2 Likes

I did…

2 Likes

Sadly 90% of games for Linux are just rushed ports so the performance is not on par with Windows.

2 Likes

I use Ubuntu…
It works very well with a good computer and a SSD.
I’m a Linux user for 10 years, too.

2 Likes

I’m going to use linux if I start trading crypto in earnest.

1 Like

As a home system and developer workstation, Arch Linux for three years and Debian 10 for two years. I am not going back to pacman after trying apt. I love i3-wm, primary reason why I use GNU/Linux for personal use.

3 Likes

Isn’t pacman faster?

1 Like

Ubuntu, Cent OS

2 Likes

i have ubuntu its enough dont use my laptop alot

2 Likes

apt is more stable and has more features than pacman. The repositories are much better maintained too. Whatever speed pacman gains is due to dropping tests and checks that apt performs.

When I neglected to upgrade Arch Linux for half a year, because upgrades always broke something in my system in unexpected ways, when I did actually need an upgrade, pacman couldn’t figure out what to do on it’s own. After an hour of trying to solve dependency conflicts or whatever it was “manually”, I just booted Debian into rescue mode from flash drive, mounted my Arch Linux home partition under Debian root, and did my work that way.

When latest releases of software components are an absolute requirement, given user has time and ability to learn tricks, then Arch Linux is a good choice. Otherwise Debian is more mature system.

Also Arch Linux probably has the best GNU/Linux Wiki there is. Debian one is a joke in comparison.

+++ Also the original developer of Debian had paranoia, if not full-featured schizophrenia, so yes, it’s Debian all the way for me.

3 Likes

Linux Mint for the win.

2 Likes

Do you guys game on Linux?

2 Likes

Yes if you don’t frequently update rolling release distros they break.
Also before updating arch you have to check if manual interventions are required.
Manjaro is popular because it tends to make it more user friendly.
Also as you said Arch’s wiki has became Linux’s wiki after the Gentoo one got lost.

2 Likes