Any Linux users out there?

I don’t know much about Mint but I know that it’s popular on lightweight machines…

I was thinking about getting my mom an old laptop and running ubuntu w/lxde on it… but she’s very un-technical and just likes her Chromebook.

do you have to pay for Windows on VMs?

I didn’t like Windows 10, and generally speaking I don’t prefer anything Microsoft, except maybe Skype.

Windows 7 is decent though.

Yep. I’ve got a license I use on my VM.

It’s probably the most stable version in recent history. They’ve also removed a lot of the cruft from it, it will run better on older machines that Windows 7 does now. It’s nice to see MS finally focusing on quality rather than marketing.

1 Like

I mainly use Gentoo but I have to use windows for some games and apps.

2 Likes

1:44

3 Likes

Linus is a hero of mine… such a real dude

Agreed. He gave the world a wonderful gift.

:heart:

1 Like

Hahaha, at least they give closed source drivers for even freebsd and solaris though.

1 Like

I use Ubuntu 16.04.3 and since the last incremental update, my desktop CPU has been over heating and shutting down automatically. The o/s also freezes randomly for no apparent reason and so I have to do a hard reboot. However, my computer is 8 years old so.

I’d like to install iTunes and Microsoft Office 2016 on Ubuntu but that’s not happening because Linux for the desktop represents a very small percentage of the desktop/laptop market compared to Microsoft Windows.

You should try Lubuntu/Xubuntu, Unity is very heavy.

1 Like

I had that too, check the Ubuntu forum, as I found a workaround!

1 Like

I’m gonna try Lubuntu. The system crashes and system lockups are just too frequent. Thanks guys!

2 Likes

I might try lubuntu when I get home later… thanks for tips, I had heard lxde was light

1 Like

my new fave : xfce /Xubuntu, on the ultrawide monitor

1 Like

How is the ram usage? :slight_smile:

Here’s the RAM usage,

from the looks of this terminal , does it look like my computer could be using more RAM?

i

I have to say, Lubuntu uses much less memory than Ubuntu. My system has yet to freeze or crash on me though some Firefox browser tabs have crashed on me.

2 Likes

I have Ubuntu dual installed alongside windows 10. :slight_smile:
I rarely use it now, because my internet is so slow and nothing loads. Was going to google how to fix that, but I had to boot into windows to search that and thus far I haven’t gone back…

I like the streamlinedness of it, plus updating was just like sudo apt-get install updates or something and poof in seconds, updated! nothing like windows updates…then there’s the fact that it’s free. Free

I also have a rapsberry pi with various OS’s installed at different points of time. Right now, I believe I have motioneye installed, as part of my “make a surveillance system out of a pi and a logitech webcam” project. Only, I could not figure out how to record the stream to my SD card instead of just live streaming it through the IP address. Also, I wanted to secure the webcam for optimal viewing angles but my cat destroyed my set up which had been a couple of boxes and a webcam duct taped to the top box,…so there’s that.

1 Like

1 Like

@zeno Am I reading that right?! You don’t even have a Gigabyte of RAM.

1 Like