Anxiety and the heart

Does anyone elses anxiety get so bad that they get heart palpitations? Ever since I started having mental health issues back in High School my heart always acts up. It beats super fast, super hard, skips beats. This has been going on for years. Ive had tons of tests and they always come back normal. My doc tells me im a hypochondriac and I have nothing to worry about.

4 Likes

Yes, but I have an extra heart beat.

1 Like

Does anything trigger it or is it completely random? @fractaled

1 Like

Sometimes it’s triggered by stress, but it’s mostly random. I can be sitting doing nothing, sober, and it acts up. Feels like it’s fluttering.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, I hope it improves! @fractaled

1 Like

It took five days in the children’s hospital for them to discover it. It was so faint. It could be it’s gone undetected for you.

1 Like

Ive had so many tests done over the years that I doubt anything has gone undetected

1 Like

You suffer from panic attacks. So do I. It sucks!

1 Like

Panic attacks are the fuc-king worst! @Speedy

1 Like

Tell me about it. It has impaired my life. I can’t interact with people, I can’t date, I avoid going to places that are crowded, I can’t do anything infront of people. When I try to pay with my credit card I start shaking so it’s difficult putting the card in the machine. I can’t work out without shaking. I’m always wondering if I’m about to lose my mind again. It feels like I’m about to go crazy when I’m having an episode. I have lived as a shut-in for 20 years. I refuse to go on benzos because of the dependency. They have prescribed me paxil but it’s not effective in treating panic disorders.

1 Like

Might it be anxiety attacks, not panic attacks? I think there’s a difference…?

2 Likes

I’ve been having weird chest pains for a few months. Finally went into the emergency room on docs advice and they did not find anything wrong on my two ekgs. But my doctor had me get a Holter monitor that I wore for 24 hrs just a few days ago. I am still waiting for the results. My guess is that it will come back as normal…I think maybe I have some issues with that chest muscle or something…IDK . It feels like its coming from inside my chest sometimes though…I just don’t know.

1 Like

I hope your test comes back normal, im sure it will @Bowens

1 Like

Ok! I get these sudden attacks, my heart starts pounding and it’s really embarrassing. The biggest fear is having another one so I avoid situations that causes it.

3 Likes

I had a heart murmur as a kid, I get heart palpitations sometime at night. And yes anxiety can cause heart palpitations.

1 Like

I know of someone who gets chest pain and heart palpitations. It is scary because they are also obese so they fear a heart attack every time it happens.

Although they are told that it’s anxiety.

1 Like

You can buy blood pressure monitors that also monitor heart rate and will tell you if your heart is beating irregularly. There are tons available on Amazon, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Beurer-North-America-Bluetooth-Pressure/dp/B076DDPSCJ

You can record your irregular heartbeat in an app when it happens then show your doctor.

When they take my blood pressure and pulse at the doctors office it’s always normal because I am not anxious at that moment.

But I’ve taken it at home and have had high blood pressures and fast heart rates when anxious. Fortunately I have never had an irregular heartbeat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.