Antipsychotic (clozapine) induced male ejaculation disorder

Hi.I am male.I have been taking antipsyhotic clozapine (Clozaril) for some time and I have noticed that I have ejaculation problems. When I take clozapine in recommended dosage, I can’t ejaculate and when I do I hardly get any semen out. That’s very frustrating and if I ever wanted to have kids some day, I think I couldn’t because of low amount of semen.

Do you guys have similar problems? Is there any supplement or med that can fix this ? Of course , I will talk about this problem with my psychiatrist but I just wanted to see your opinion. Which antipsychotics are best for ejaculation disorder and which antipsychotics are the worst for ejaculation?

Best regards…

P.S. Sorry for my English, it’s not my native language.

Are you sure you are mistaking Clozapine with Risperdal? Did you try to “act” when you are about to take the next dose? If that doesn’t work it might be related to something else, talk iwth your pdoc, please.

No. I haven’t taken risperidone (Risperadal) in years . (Last time I took risperidone was in 2012. ) I just take clozapine now. As I said, I will talk it over with my psychiatrist (pdoc). I just wanted to hear if anybody else has similar problems.

I have experienced that on high doses of APs in the past. Mostly when I’m in the hospital as well as just getting out, and my doses are still very high.

APs cause this unfortunately. Reducing your dose if possible will help.

I kind of have this problem on clozapine.

I dont really care to much about it though

I’m not a man, so I can’t speak to that, but I can admit that APs and anti-depressants inhibit my ability to climax. Sucks.

I don’t take anti depressants but I used to take, if I ever take anti depressants again I’m going to loose it just thinking on what it can do to my manhood

I dont think clozapine increases prolactin, so i dont think most people get delayed ejaculation on it.

yes, you will get sexual side effects on antidepressants like SSRI/SNRIs

Hi. I think you are confusing symptoms here.

Antipsychotics like risperidone and amisulpride (available only in Europe) have side effect of increasing prolactin levels and when prolactin levels are high, men don’t have sexual “needs”. They can ejaculate but simply don’t have sexual drive.

On the other hand, antipsychotics like clozapine and sertindole (also available only in Europe) have side effect of men not being able to ejaculate and achieve orgasm. And if ejaculation happens it is often with very small amount of seamen and often not enough for women to become pregnant.

Best regards.

I have problems like this on risperidone.

would a person with untreated schizophrenia have ED / other sexual dysfunction problem if not medicated?

I don’t think so. Schizophrenia doesn’t cause ED or any other sexual dysfunction on its own.

1 Like

I’m not confusing any symptoms. I’ve been on clozapine since 6 years, i never had sexual dysfunction. But the moment i started paroxetine, i developed sexual dysfunction. I have zero libido, not able to reach orgasm at all. I was fine before paroxetine. Sometimes if I spend 1 hour masturbating, i would have orgasm but no semen.

I mean sexual dysfunction by words like Delayed ejaculation, no orgasm, low libido.

I take clozapine and have the same problem.

True that the problem only ocurred after switching to clozapine.

GP says it is only a problem if you are thinking of having children which for me is not the case

as I have two already.