Antibiotics and schizophrenia

Hi. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 10 years ago. But only 3 years ago i started hearing voices very often and also had intrusive thoughts. The medications didn’t work very well. Anyway, about a month ago i got a nasty cold so i went to the doctor and gave me an antibiotic. The psychotic syptoms dissapeared in a few days. Then the cold got worse , i had some pain because there was a small amount of liquid in my lungs so i went to the hospital and they came to the conclusion that it was pneumonia so i received 2 antibiotics. During the treatment with antibiotics my mental state was almost perfect. If when i wasn’t taking antibiotics i would hear voices all day, and have intrusive thoughts, after i started taking them maybe i would hear one voice or 2 in a whole day. That s maybe a few seconds in a whole day. Almost perfect. Maybe there were days i wouldn’t hear voices at all and also no intrusive thoughts. Anyway, it was very good. I stooped treatment with antibiotics 3 days ago. It’s still good, but some mental problems reapeared, some intrusive thoughts from time to time returned but not often. It’s really interesting.

1 Like

Tetracycline-based antibiotics are known to have that effect on schizophrenia for some people. It’s only temporary though, and taking long-term antibiotics wreaks havoc with your intestinal flora so it’s not really a good idea.

Better to get a med adjustment by your pdoc.

1 Like

@stefan641
This is a great sign! You might be able to switch meds and find some relief! Ask for a med change!

1 Like

I am currently taking Levaquin and Bactrim and I’m having positive side effects. Not good!! I haven’t logged on here In months but my psychosis, paranoia, and delusions got me tripping tonight and I came to this site for peace of mind. Today is my second day of the antibiotics. Do NOT TAKE THESE PILLS if you suffer from mental illness.i

1 Like

I now take paliperidone and it’s pretty ok. My disease was activated with a very big scare, i thought that i would die(it happened after a big effort in heat, at tennis) and i was wondering if an opposite experience, love, happiness and gentleness could heal that scare and heal my disease. I mean, i wasn’t hearing voices before. I read on the power2u website that recovery is possible.

1 Like

I’m going on minocycline 50 mg, I know it won’t be easy but it takes away all my psychosis and negative symptoms and depression, paranoia, like feeling normal again

1 Like