Annoyed mood- graduation

I get annoyed every time I see my GPA at uni and realise I could’ve done better. I got sick in my second year at uni and ended up failing a lot, almost got kicked out. After I became more functional, I went back to uni but my concentration and memory weren’t the same, it was tough dealing with the anxiety and then the sedative meds. I know I shouldn’t blame my bad grades on one thing alone, maybe I should’ve tried better, but I also feel like the main reason I didn’t do well is because of this illness. It took a lot from me.

4 Likes

My grades suffered too. I have no idea how I managed to finish. I would have got a great grade if I had not have fallen ill in my second/last year.

1 Like

I feel you :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

The first time I got sick, I was just starting high school. I was either at home or in the counselor’s office every day. Everyone had different ideas on what was wrong with me. I ended up on a medical leave of absence for the second half of the school year.

The second time I got suck, it was 2017. I was in my senior year of high school. Everything went to hell. My grades plummeted, I could no longer do work that used to be simple for me. The only reason I graduated is that my teachers were lenient about my work and generous about my grades. I honestly should not have graduated.

Anyway, my point in sharing this is that schizophrenia (or any mental illness, really) takes a lot out of us. Maybe your grades could’ve been better. I don’t know. However, you put in effort. You powered through your symptoms and were able to graduate, and that, my friend, is commendable.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve had it so rough. I’m glad you got through it too. Thank you for this, it really touched me :slight_smile:

I can understand your disappointment but you did your best, i’m sure. Like @Sardonic said, sz takes a lot out of you. I didn’t even go to college so you’re doing better than me. I say “good job”!

1 Like

About ten years ago, I was 49 then, I wanted to major in math so, I took a course in algebra in a community college. I aced the homework and the in class work but my anxiety during quizzes was so astronomical that I only got “C” grades on the quizzes, and in order to pass, you had to get at least a “B”. I was getting “C’s” on all the quizzes and my son, at the time, needed the family car for work, so, I dropped out of the college.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I withdrew, technically, during the semester. I was told I could come back but I don’t think I’m smart enough anymore and I’m too low functioning.

I never failed a class, but I did get a couple Passes and a couple of Cs in my math classes. I was a math major. I wanted to go to graduate school for economics or for an MBA. This was 8 years ago.

It was very hard for me. I didn’t feel smart anymore. I guess I had the prodromal symptoms of schizophrenia: cognitive decline, OCD, anxiety, depression, etc.

I just needed 5 classes to graduate. I went from a 3.9 GPA to a 2.95 GPA.

I don’t think I could work so what’s the point in going to school? Even if I do work someday, it will probably be stocking shelves or something. I really want to be a programmer, but I need to study more. I have set backs every time I try to go back to college or volunteer.

My biggest setback is not being able to drive much. Every time I go on a new medication or get them adjusted, I go back 10 steps. It’s very frustrating.

My biggest problem is delusions and I feed into them. I feel like they are really real sometimes like in an alternative universe. I get visions or memories in my head and it’s very frustrating and traumatizing.

I just increased my dose of Vraylar to 6 mg and added cymbalta. Now I’m tired all the time. But it’s working. I didn’t need to go back to the hospital.

I honestly think if I went to an easier school and picked an easier major like business or even economics, I would have graduated. I think taking real analysis, number theory, and mathematical logic, while suffering from psychosis was too much. It’s hard no matter what. I think I overestimated my intelligence. I always thought hard work was more important. I don’t understand how Elyn Saks made it through college. She’s a true genius, I am not.

I was stressed about getting a job after college too. I felt like a real failure. I didn’t even apply to internships because I was so focused on passing my classes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.