Amazon Grocery Prime Delivery +$5 Optional Tip

Okay. I have a Prime membership. And grocery shopping has really helped me in life.

My understanding was as a prime member delivery was a perk… And their workforce were paid just like any other delivery driver. Not tip based.

So every purchase now as far as grocery goes as of today —- they added an optional $5 tip or you can opt out and put $0 or any amount you want.

Well why does the driver get the tip. What about the warehouse worker? They should be managing their workers pay —- not turning this into a tipping system like a restaurant.

Well I had to go to target and buy groceries today. Not sure I want to support this new model.

3 Likes

All the grocery and deliveries like pizza you tip the driver. I don’t think the make much money. The same with wait-persons at restaurants. At least wise here they don’t.

1 Like

Amazon is being greedy. They don’t want to pay their drivers more.

They offered this service for years - this is new tipping is optional and its an emotional toll on the customer.

Why don’t we tip every package delivery - they do the same work.

Logistically I would like to know that the warehouse worker that packs the food get part of the tip but it says it goes 100% to the driver.

4 Likes

I know. I’m getting groceries by riding the bus because I can’t afford the delivery fee plus tip.

3 Likes

I agree. I understand. I am pushing myself due to finances too if I have to go to Target.

Honestly Amazon Fresh Grocery Prime prices have been higher than normal grocery in-store. So this new tipping option is even more Corporate Profit Evil.

4 Likes

I noticed that too. The prices are higher online than in the store.

4 Likes

Safeway is worse. Delivery used to cost $3.95 and they told you not to tip the driver. Now the delivery charge is $5.95 and they make a 17%+ tip mandatory. Plus a bag fee and another $2.50 “service fee”. If I buy two weeks worth of groceries for $150 the total delivery fee would be more than $25.00. It’s ridiculous, I stopped using them about 7 months ago. Amazon sounds like a much better deal, a $5.00 tip doesn’t sound bad compared to Safeway’s $20.00.

2 Likes

Well it’s tricky - cause they been increasing prices on basic items by $1 - 2 over in-store groceries.

I think I need to push myself to handle my own grocery shopping.
It’s just so much people / interaction / chaos.

2 Likes

I get up at 7:00 am on Saturdays to get my supply of soda and do a little grocery shopping before there’s a lot of people there. The store is like 5 minutes from my house.

3 Likes

Without the tip.the driver is getting perhaps $8 an hour. With the tip that driver is getting maybe $14 an hour. One hopes one attracts a better group of people by the larger hourly take home.

1 Like

I drove delivery for doordash. Its an app you sign up for. A good part time gig. If i didnt get tips i would only make 1 to 3 dollars per delivery. They usually tip 2 dollars. Ive gotten 10 dollar tips before too. Those are really nice.

1 Like

They’re trying to find ways to keep staff.

3 Likes

Some of the tipping I have seen in my life is still quite silly.

My least favorite example is seeing a tip jar at the vape shop. ■■■■ that! You are lucky if the clerk even makes eye contact.

2 Likes

We’re supposed to make eye contact? Since when?!?

1 Like

Are the grocery delivery drivers using their own vehicles or are they using those prime delivery vans that the amazon drivers use for amazon package delivery?

1 Like

Not sure. Never look out.

My issue is - amazon should pay their drivers straight up a living wage. Not depend on tips.

But I have seen normal cars delivering amazon packages.

1 Like

Ive never used a grocery delivery service because I mainly shop at Trader Joes and they dont offer delivery options. The closest Safeway is less than a mile away so I just stop in if I need to pick up a few things. Alot of people in my neighborhood just walk to Safeway. I should probably do that too to get some much needed exercise.

1 Like

I decided - as tipping is optional. I will use Amazon on an as needed basis. And work on doing my own shopping when I can.

I won’t be tipping anytime soon as I barely have the means - and it’s not my duty to. Reading up on drivers pay. Tip is just a bonus for those who can afford it. There is no customer contact, tipping is etiquette of measure how someone serviced you and since there is zero interaction I am not gonna tip.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.