Schizophrenia.com

Am starting haldol shots on tuesday

only a test dose of 12.5 mgs to c how it affects me then if that’s ok, we’ll take it up to 25mgs the fortnight after. i’m not holding out much hope that it will quell the voices but u never know so i’m going to try it anyway. what’s the best med uv been on?

2 Likes

The best 2 meds I’ve been on are Haldol and Stelazine. Good luck with the Haldol!

0 Likes

my shrink said it’s now the med of choice for acute admissions so it seems like a good choice. xxx

0 Likes

Yes, Haldol can make a floridly psychotic patient do a 180 in about 2-3 hours. When I was in the hospital, they used to give what we called B-52s. Benztropine (Cogentin), 5mg of Haldol, and 2mg of Ativan. I would get these injections whenever I got out of control. But that was almost 20 years ago. Now I’m too old for all that fighting and acting out. I was just 13 when they gave me these shots.

0 Likes

Clozaril and Latuda have been the best meds for me. They’re the only antipsychotics that stopped my hallucinations. I’ve been on Latuda for 3 years now, and haven’t heard any voices in quite some time.

I hope that you can find a med that takes away your voices too!

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

I get a Haldol shot of 100mgs every two weeks and it works for me. It took some time for it to work but in the end I feel much better and don’t hear the voices that much.

0 Likes

This is so true about Haldol. I was so psychotic and mixed manic when I entered into the hospital, 4 orderlies, and I think it was a cop or guard had to hold me down. I was forced injected with Haldol. The next day, I was smiling and whistling out of my room - completely down to earth. It is a very good old school med in my opinion. I responded quickly on it. :angry: :pill: :smiley: Hope it works out for you Jayne :sunny:

0 Likes

Good luck jayne. Keep us posted on the effectiveness of haldol. I am quite curious.

0 Likes

i hope it goes well for you.
take care

0 Likes

75 mg of haldol decanoate (injectable) every 2 weeks was so effective in quieting my voices I actually got lonely.
Think I was on the shot for about a year. Felt really good on it. If I had insurance and a pdoc, I’d consider doing it again.
Best of luck and hope it does the trick for you.

0 Likes