All we know is that we know nothing

Philosophy. Socrates. What do you think?

4 Likes

I used to have a mentor in community college. Not anymore. But he was really smart, maybe even a genius.

He called it epistimology, you cannot know for certain that you know anything. It seemed Buddhist to me or Eastern philsophy, even though it’s Western philosophy.

The study of knowledge. Like how do you know the chair you sit in won’t break or that you’d fall down and hurt yourself?

I once asked him what’s harder: physics or philosophy? He said it depends on the teacher, how much you struggle and put into the class and how the class is. I mean I respected him and even liked him.

All we are is dust in the wind dude

4 Likes

Cool. That’s insightful.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Transcend all. !!!

1 Like

It could lead to a set back or more delusions if one is too inward thinking.

I used to think religion was a mental illness despite growing up around it.

People hated me, even though I didn’t really know or understand it or get it.

When I told people I was an atheist at 18 years old, they said atheism was a religion and then it opened a can of worms. I really wonder what happened to me.

People get violent and angry and mad. I was pretty open and Liberal despite my upbringing. I never had real issues really. I was pretty stupid and naive and ignorant.

I beg to differ we know a lot of that which matters to us through ourselves. Of course if we consider knowledge that which we found outside of ourselves, we don’t know it because it exists through a measurement which we have to trust, yet we exist in a moving moment and the persistence of ourselves, if we rely on a memory for knowledge how much do we really know? On the other end if our knowledge is part of our conscious experience, that we cannot deny for what is to us simply is to us and what is to us can be to somebody as we are living proof and embodiment of that. That’s knowledge. If when I hear you speak of yourself I trust you, I’ll never know you, I’ll merely believe you. If when I hear you speak I go inside to find that in me which explains you guided by your words, now the knowledge becomes part of the experience, so I know that which could be you and if you don’t rule it out my assessment of that which is you is every bit as valid as your own towards knowing you, while you ultimately remain the arbiter of that which is and isn’t you, we can grow to know each other together. For we both bring perspectives on what we could be that have value because we experienced their meaning, not merely expanded it from preconceptions. I felt in me that which could be you, that will always have more value than years of study of models that aim to explain your functioning through words which you merely understand the meaning of but have no experience of what you are implying so what do you really know except hearsay?

2 Likes

I think therefore I am.

Socrates claimed that he knew nothing and yet the Oracle said he was the wisest man in Athens. I think the smarter and wiser a person is, the more aware they become of how little they know.

2 Likes

What do we know about nothing?

I think I know more about myself than Socrates did.

2 Likes

How does a person cultivate intellectual humility? I’ve tried to force it for years now and it never sticks. This is in the face of me being wrong alot …

2 Likes

To be humble is to be teachable. If you are open to new lessons, you’re on the right path.

3 Likes

I heard a professor say that academics spend years studying a smaller and smaller area of knowledge becoming less and less certain of anything they know about it except the right questions to ask .

2 Likes

I am therefore I think

1 Like

That we know nothing about what we know

1 Like

Maybe you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The only thing I know is that I’m a genius :joy:

1 Like

But if we think we know nothing then don’t we think that we think we know nothing and in doing so that would mean that we think we know something which is the opposite of what we’re suggesting

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Humility comes from humiliation imo

Serving in a low place and suffering in silence

1 Like